Is it just me or are young adults under the age of 25 just plain lazy?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    A lot of it is due the way they were brought up. I’m 27 but I was brought up with my grandparents who never took any ####. Chores needed to be done. Even if I was sick I’d get dragged to school. I acted up I’d get a belt on the behind or upper thigh. I wanted something I’d have to show that I deserved it. Any family member older than me had to addressed properly couldn’t talk to my grandparent’s brothers or sisters like I would a cousin. I remember seeing friends talking to their parents in ways I wouldn’t even dream of talking to my grandparents like. When I was a kid I’d envy them because of the amount of freedom they had but now where I’m at and where they’re at (lot of them are NEETs staying home with parents smoking weed) I’m grateful for how I was brought up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I don't really think it's fair to ask young people about home purchases. In many parts of the country home prices have gone up 100k or more over the past 2 years since 2020. If you weren't already in the market you basically got screwed and it shows no signs of slowing down either.

Rctruck87, brsims, VinceBlack and 5 others Thank this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Bear in mind, last we hear from him at age 12, he says (paraphrased) "woman, didnt you know i would be here?"
    Sounds like mary had enough of jesus' mouth and grounded him for 18 years

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I just ask if they own their own property - not being nosey.

Share my experience of buying at a young age and feeling overwhelmed, but how it worked out.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The homes in many markets are further out of reach of average income, even more than before the 2008 housing bust. However, how many of those younger people priced out of the current housing boom are holding onto normal home down payment funds in their savings account? Younger people have numerous things working against them AND a sizable number also demonstrate no work-ethic and an expectation of never being even slightly uncomfortable. Whatever your circumstances or your upbringing, you are responsible for your choices. Having a good excuse for failure, or failing the same way many others are failing, etc doesn't absolve you of acting responsibly. The kids of The Great Depression didn't lay in bed, they worked harder.

Some of the "headwinds" they face:
    High percentage growing up in homes of divorce
    Over-protective mothers
    Lazy/busy adults creating the Participation Trophy atmosphere for them
    Much less independent activity during childhood (stranger danger, widespread "day care")
    Almost 100% of their generation's parents subscribed to "go to college and get a real job". (starting with student debt)
    Too many choices
    Too much screen-time / contact only with people that agree with you

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Do all of those priced out of the home market have sizable down payments in the bank while they wait for sanity to return to the market? You cannot control the world but you can prepare to succeed when you get your opportunity.

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Agreed. I’m an older millennial so sometimes take offense to all the hate. I blame it on those gen z folks! lol

Truth is life just gets easier and easier as time goes along. It’s been happening for generations and probably the last several hundred years. Easier life is, the less productive and more lazy people are. What’s upsetting is the loss of common sense in the last generation or two.

9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    It's not just the homes themselves but land and material as well.
    Rsing costs plus the inflation of this year, the dollar is a joke now.

I'll buy or build a house when everything returns to sanity. 4 years is what I bet it takes for the world to make sense again.

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I can't comment on the work ethic of anyone's but mine or my family's, but can guarantee it's not lacking in my home.
    And imho it's a lazy and weak minded individual that blames someone else or another era for their own or societies woes.

You can't use a boomer's business model today.
    Won't work.
    We may have had it easier but look at the technologies available today we didn't have.
    Bottom line is debt is still debt. Incur too much and you'll never get free. Lazy or not.

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Just finished reading the entire thread.

One thing I’ll say is as someone who interviews and hires quite a few people over the years... I’ve learned that “25 yrs experience” doesn’t always equate to “is good at what they do”. I’ve met 5 yr experience that are better drivers then 25 yr. Its really up to the individual. There are 35 yr experience folks who absolutely bust their butts, but also the same experience who are lazy. I think it’s been going on a really long time.

In general though as people age they become much more reliable and responsible by and large. I pretty much wont hire anyone under 30 unless they are exceptional. See, when your young and snuggled under the blankets with the ol lady, and she says baby don’t go, you all of a sudden are “sick” and call in. When you get to be around 40 or older and your snuggled under the blankets with the ol lady and it’s time to go, she kicks you in the butt and says get goin your late! LMAO I’ve saw this play out so many times.

I agree with parents should do much more of the teaching then the school does. I believe in having a job at a young age. I believe parents should teach kids about saving their money. And ffs can we please get off this “ you gotta go to college or you’ll be a loser bs!?”. When my friends were wasting their time, learning nothing, and spending a ton of money at college, I was getting life skills and experience, making money, and building my future.

I started saving and working from early on and had enough down payment to get my first house bought at 18 yrs old. I rented it out until I was 21 or 22 and ready to move out of my parents house. I bought my own vehicle. I started my own trucking business at 24 yrs old with the equity I had in said House. So, not all of us millennials are lazy people. lol

I guess in a sense maybe I am lazy. What’s driven a lot of my decisions and work is the want to retire early and live life the way I want to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.