Is it legal to sell a truck with the incorrect mileage displayed ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shutupandkeeptruckin, Dec 13, 2019.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    ya see I don’t think you understand.

In the video they show you a Volvo. We don’t know what year, what engine, what package, what size tires, what tranny, what rear ends it has, if tires filled with air or nitrogen, if 5th wheel is greased, or even if the color is white.

second we don’t know what Volvo you are buying, could be a GMC Volvo, with the above options or could be a d13 or Cummins he’ll even a S60 glider, who knows.

In other words without knowing details n anything we can’t say what’s what.

and here’s advice when buying a used truck, have your mechanic look at it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shutupandkeeptruckin

Shutupandkeeptruckin Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2019
    No problem thank for the advice.

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    your going to learn one of the biggest lessons in this industry and that is no two trucks are ever the same. Specially when it’s an older truck and things get fixed on the road on the fly things change rapidly.

I just found out my rear lights where literally rewired on the side of the road by the original owner.

meaning your dash could be original could be replaced, your software could possibly support over 1mill miles on lcd screen possibly can’t, we don’t even know you have a LCD screen.

so don’t worry about a thing. All will be well and you’ll survive.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    It's no big deal as long as they tell you about it, and it is documented on the title. Things break.

npok and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You just stated that Volvo Odos don't over 1 million. If this is true then the 1.2 million truck offered to you is automatically Bullcrap.

What I stated is my experience with high mileage vehicles exceeding LIMITS of odos mechanically in my lifetime. Digital odos are essentially a function of how much working memory and storage you can apply to that very big number someday. In my time vehicles were made with like 99999 the maximum miles record-able on the ODO. My tahoe of the 96 model has 270,000 miles on it right now. It's on the third engine since the Junker for taxes money scam some years ago. Remember that? Pour sand into a engine and destroy it when it liquifies into molten glass sealing that engine forever and ever. Vehicle goes to junk yard.

The odo will count to 999,999 then be beyond limits. At that point it might as well be a record in Guiness book or something. I know of one GM vehicle at 670,000 at this point. Usually having been rebuilt in the big stuff, axles, diffs, locking ends and so forth. Engines in particular and so on.

What we think happened was in Mississippi they do not throw anything away. The dealer in Helena replaced the engine twice. First due to the scam taxes thing then the second owner bought it and dropped a crate 350 GM V8 into it. It's got about 77,000 miles on the third engine total so far. There is no reason why eventually that will be a half million mile or more vehicle before I retire. If I run it that hard. (I don't maybe about 870 miles a year total) I am the third and final owner of this vehicle.

With two exceptions it meets Maryland DOT Inspections requirement for factory stuff that came with the vehicle so I could get tags on it. Or even pass the Emissions for it as well. I just replaced the two downstream O2 sensors back there at the converter. And one coolant temp sensor which broke in one of our hard freezes of -30 overnight. The engine computer is original. The axles are also original meaning the service manual at 300,000 miles apply here. Pull transfer case oil, pull the differential oil examine both for mechanical or gear failures. If any. Repair if any detected. ( I think the rear axle has a tooth or two broken off on it's Ring gear back there. The front is immaterial because we don't use 4x4 except every 5 to 10 years if we needed to on ice. But between the three items, the automatic transmission combined with the 4 wheel end locking caps that are also automatic we are talking between about 600 to 900 dollars in total work at 70 a hour to replace all the revelant fluids. If the ring gear or any other gears need replacing then that's a minor expense. Having spare parts at all falls back onto the healthy secondary truck market and classic vehciles market. This thing is about 23 years old and qualifies for Historic tags in Maryland which means NO emissions needed and NO inspection needed or expected. In Arkansas we have NO emissions, NO inspections and NO gas station vapor recovery etc. None of that parasitical BS here in this free state. What we DO is we have shadetree people who grew up working on these old vehicles because it's what their daddies handed down to them and for example I ordered a complete replacement front end lights which is the new LED system so I can illuminate more better at night with less than 1/8th the current draw on today's battery sucking incandescent lights. I think 110 dollars for the bundle front and another 100 labor to bolt it in. I could do it with a couple of tools but I rather put one particular mechanic and his shop to work on it because they too own a very similar GM vehicle for that model year. And there are 4 other people in the county who takes their own Tahoes there for a variety of fix it stuff. More often because they go to work in Little Rock with it every day. 3 hour round trip.

So getting parts is not a problem. So I expect the vehicle to be "Fixable" until about roughly 2035 or so when California finally expects to pass a total ban on registering gasoline and diesel vehicles within their borders making the USA a potential banner of gasoline and Diesel fueled vehicle as well. You would not be able to register these vehicles ever again after 2035-2040 time frame. By that time Arkansas expects a Subway/Light rail service to Little Rock which will bring up big city crime out here and allow some of us to continue working minimum wage 20.00 a hour jobs without a unaffordable vehicle, insurance, tags, taxes, fuel in particular (We burned about 1000 dollars a month commuting by vehicle to little rock every day for two vehicles plus everything else out to 110 miles from White County and two roadtrips a year to the Gulf Coast beaches And one to the east coast every 10 years or more.)

There is even more reason to keep the Tahoe. Hardly any nanny tech in it. Actually none. Insurance people see it as Crushers in accidents, I see the dual frame rails and one peice steel body riding on it as a very survivable item PROVIDED you do not let a hit on the far left rear where that massive fuel tank sits. (26 gallons) which is good for 500 miles to and from Little Rock every 5 days. Call it 70.00 a week. Using Katrina Gas pricing was stiff, about 6.00 gallon in several instances. Only about 156 a week. meaning your 8.50 cent 40 hour minimum wage job does not earn you enough to be employed in Little Rock. 340 gross pay, deductions leaving you with a net anywhere between 190 to 240 a week. Your 100-150 dollars weekly including weekends lifestyle on gasoline will leave you only with 40 to 100 dollars cash with which to pay your insurance (About 60 dollars liability, 90 full coverage which is wise to have in LR, prone to accidents) and pay your rent which is about 1000 dollars plus or minus 200 and not including upwards of 400 a month in electric, water, sewer, insurance.

Even if you ditched your Tahoe completely and walked to your 40 hour a week 8.50 min wage job you need TWO of those jobs to break even. Never mind anything else you need to live on such as food and fluids, medicines etc.

7. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia

Well Mr Rocket scientist.... It's NOT Bullcrap..

seven Digit Odometers roll over back to ZERO at each Million....

I've a Truck here that's done 3.48 Million Yet only 480xxx on the odometer..

8. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    If the dealership told you it has 1.2m and it reads 260, theres no fraud involved. Like others have said, the odo has simply rolled over. If this is the same truck as the one with the suicidal drag link, maybe you should look at another dealership.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    My 2003 Volvo does not even have a slot for one million digit 20191213_082019.jpg .

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If people just hook computer reader to the truck the ECM will show the real miles even at 1,256,799. I had company truck once have the dash go bad. They put a new dash in under warranty. It stated out at 0 miles. Because they can't change the dash display. The ECM had the correct miles and the ECM always has the correct miles and engine hours.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Is this the same place that wanted to sell/lease that truck with the bad drag link?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.