Is it stupid to get a CDL at age 18, 19, or 20?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zan1995, May 24, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You only need one CDL job to get paid, not most CDL jobs. IMO you are better off if you identify the job first and then decide about when, how, where to get the CDL.

Maybe I'm missing something. What do you think is the reason you would want to have the CDL? IIRC, if you have a CDL you can face a lower Blood Alcohol Concentration level if stopped for suspicion of DUI/DWI, or whatever your state calls driving after having too much to drink. I have hardly had any alcohol to drink since I've had a CDL, but that is more a coincidence than a choice, so I just remember some drivers have asked questions about a situation with the cops and I vaguely remember something about a 0.04 and 0.02 BAC in the regs for CDL holders. I might be wrong about that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I had my cdl in high school when I turned 18 before i graduated.
    Worked intrastate til 21, the next week after birthday went OTR flatbed.

CatchUp, D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Wow that’s funny you were just slightly north of me in upstate NY and now your slightly south of my home in Venice Florida lol
    I just returned to NY today and I was in Fort Myers this passed Sunday.
    I travel back And forth from that area often.
    I’ll bet the many opportunity’s there are a little overwhelming to you compared to the few in the North country?
    Glad you are doing well there and believe me in my opinion you made the absolute best decision getting out of NY!
    Although the snowmobiling isn’t very good in Fort Myers the jet sking is awesome and so is the weather lol

Coffey and TugHillRider Thank this.
  5. Floridaman72

Floridaman72 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2022
    Florida
    Get your Class A and run local, but I'd recommend starting with something simple like roll off trucks, they pay good and it's easy work, you can practically take a roll off anywhere like a car. Build that experience so when you turn 21 and go interstate you'll know what you're doing.

6. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Foodservice is a good job for a young fella. I think it pays ok too.

Bean Jr., Coffey and TugHillRider Thank this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Other than you now have to pay out of pocket to go through cdl training I would absolutely get it. Got my cdl the day I turned 18 and could have plenty of jobs if not self employed

Bean Jr. and TugHillRider Thank this.
  8. TugHillRider

TugHillRider Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    Ha. I actually lived in Lysander, NY, northwest of Syracuse but spent alot of my time off up in the Tug Hill, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, etc. That place will always hold a place in my heart. But yes, It was tough to decide which job to take, but on the plus side, If I dont like this next job, I can get a different one easily. lol

9. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    I haven’t left my state in a semi in 3 years and I am doing just fine… get you cdl work local… and when you’re old enough if it’s even attractive to you you can go otr/regional

leviant0107 Thanks this.
  10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    b5c.gif
    Just don't do this at one of those rasslin' matches. The bump to end all bumps.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    So I guess gone are the days of studying the CDL manual, taking the written test, getting a permit, borrowing someone's truck for the road test, and going to work?

Seems if that's the case, it benefits only the big companies that offer training in return for a year of indentured servitude.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.