is it worth it to be a true o/o?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bigchevy, May 20, 2015.

1. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The only way I'll ever own a truck is if I get me a stripped down glider from an owner and then get me a job to haul steady with percentage pay. Home every week and monthly installments on the truck

Otherwise I'll stay company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They never are. You don't call about moving high dollar freight. You get called to move that freight.

truckon, Long FLD and Oscar the KW Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Guys I know this. Although I would take issue with the remarks that no high dollar freight ever comes off loadboards because I've done a bunch of it. Mostly was an off the cuff remark on how little the really lucrative stuff is moving these days period, in any segment, with constant economic recession and outright contraction.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    truckon Thanks this.
  5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I haul loads under 10k legal easy all the time that pay me better than most of the oversize stuff on loadboards. It's sad, I think some guys just haul it to post big load pics on facebook. Or as mentioned, moron business plan, fold permit money over and stick in pocke

6. Bigchevy

Bigchevy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2013
    colorado
    To the guy that thinks I'm a troll, I'm not. I run flat bed in colorado, salt lake and new mexico, mostly colorado in the winter, I earn every penny of that 60k. I just want a little more freedom, and their are a lot of 70s trucks on the road, maby you don't get out a lot?. Thanks everyone else.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Think it was 2 years ago, running up I-79 here in WV when I past a driver still pushing an Emeryville. Think he is from FL, pretty sure he said he had updated the engine to a 400 BC. When I was younger I use to run with older rigs and older woman, as long as it all works and will pass inspection ya got no worries.New Drivers today can't handle a truck with no a/c or no cruise, all has to be new new new. Start giving CDL test in trucks with no power steering and see who makes the grade then. I need a beer, ya'll be safe.

SheepDog and Bigchevy Thank this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If I was given now a truck without air conditioning and power steering, I would quit doing trucking lol

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Oscar the KW Thank this.
  9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Me too, I'm to soft for that old school truckin'

10. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Not so sure there are a lot of 70's trucks out on the road but if you're going to do it get on with it and stop talking about it.

Its easy to talk lets see some action.

Ruthless, truckon and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Op, I honestly don't think you are remotely ready to be an owner operator. Especially ruining under your own authority. you need at least another year of good ol research. I arrive at this conclusion from a different things you have said.
    Saying you know a broker with good loads that will load you for a flat fee. In over fifteen years of being an o/o ice never even heard of a broker working for a flat fee. You are talking about a dispatch service. And none of them are worth fifty cents, let alone dollars. You also say a guy leased to your company makes 200k a year, but you don't know if that's after expenses. These and other statements you've made show you really don't have a clue about being a successful business owner.

If you want to succeed as an owner operator you need more info. At this point you have so little information you don't even know what questions to ask. You need lots of research. Your own research. Basing decisions on what answers you get here from basic General questions is a recipe for financial disaster.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good info on this forum, and several very good business men. But you gotta dig through the 98 percent that don't have a clue to find the few that do. for every successful owner operator here, there is a hundred failed owner ops, company drivers, lease purchase operators, and working for peanuts owner ops leased to big cpm carriers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.