Is reefer a dead end career?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by asphaltreptile311, May 13, 2019.

1. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    I'm a former Prime driver. I have my own authority now my friend. You shouldn't assume what people make. You'd be surprised what I made at Prime. I know your mother taught you more decency than that. Arrogance will get you nothing but a foot up your ###

exhausted379 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I remember 2008 and 9.
    It was slow for Crete and Shaffer.
    I remember the owner op trucks with the chain racks behind their cab pulling old and LOUD reefer trailers that looked like they were sitting for years.
    And if anyone thinks that during a recession reefer freight doesn’t slow dow because “people got to eat”.
    Well.... they’re just wrong.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just miles is what you are paid.

Paying by miles is obsolete. I prefer a salary that is really adequate. 2000 gross weekly, with about 600 going into withholding, SS, etc.

If you cannot thrive on 1400 take home a week, you are in trouble.

As for the reefer work, I discovered McKesson when we took a medicine load off someone in Jessup with FFE in the spring of 2001 It's value was well in excess of a million and loaded at Linfield CT for Memphis. We as a team driver were there just after midnight straight through.

Later that year we were with a leased fleet doing nothing but McKesson. There is a few things worth more than money or gold and that is the satisfaction that the medicine will be given to those who have need of it that day after delivery.

It's really difficult to get back into Meat, Produce or grocery hauling after that. So we did not.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Reefer sucks! Go waste 15 hours a week dealing with retarded #######es because “we gotta eat!” Better you than me frittering away your valuable time.

Hotplate Thanks this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Not sure about any depression or recession effects during the years 2007 and 2011. Made some good money pulling flatbed.

8. local439

local439 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Brentwood , Ca
    Working for a grocery chain is pretty much all refrigerated, some BS for sure but all preloaded and go home every night.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.