Is this a violation?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Yesterday, I took a rock to the windshield that caused a chip about the size of a quarter. It is in my line of sight(about midway left to right and about 1/3 up from the bottom).

I asked my office and was told to watch it, indicating that I was ok. But I need to be SURE that I am.

Attached Files:

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I believe that as long as it doesn’t turn into a crack, then you’re good.

4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I believe every State has its own definition for windshield damages. New York state comes to mind. Are you OTR? Better get it fixed then.

WildTiger1990, Doealex and okiedokie Thank this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Just a matter of time before It's going to crack.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Cracks can’t intersect and damage can’t be larger than what can be covered by a 3/4” disc.

buzzarddriver Thanks this.
  7. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    OTR, but my company has not had me east of Denver in 2+ years

Just passing by Thanks this.
  8. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I put the quarter in the picture to show scale

9. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Probably should get it replaced when you have some time. Until then I can't believe it just happened right before you got pulled in to the scale house

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    From the regs. 393.60

(c) Windshield condition. With the exception of the conditions listed in paragraphs (c)(1), (c)(2), and (c)(3) of this section, each windshield shall be free of discoloration or damage in the area extending upward from the height of the top of the steering wheel (excluding a 51 mm (2 inch) border at the top of the windshield) and extending from a 25 mm (1 inch) border at each side of the windshield or windshield panel. Exceptions:

(1) Coloring or tinting which meets the requirements of paragraph (d) of this section;
    (2) Any crack that is not intersected by any other cracks;
    (3) Any damaged area which can be covered by a disc 19 mm ( 3⁄4 inch) in diameter if not closer than 76 mm (3 inches) to any other similarly damaged area.

Just so you got an easy gauge a penny I just measured is 19.03 mm in diameter.

seagreg Thanks this.
  11. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    It didn't happen just before a scale house, this was the northbound Wyoming p.o.e. on the I25 at Cheyenne. This is just a document check and no inspection occurred. It just so happened that it was the next safe place I could stop and get the pic to send to the office for advice.

That said, my advice was to watch it for growth. If I do get inspected and get put out of service or any lesser violation, I have it on record that it was reported and documented in the post trip inspection with the picture (my ELD allows for pictures to be included in the inspections, which is pretty handy if I do say so myself!)

BTW, a quarter is 1" in diameter (used it frequently when in the army with many insignia on the dress uniforms). US paper currency is 6" long... these are good indexes for scale in pictures.

12. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I'd try one of those $10 rain x repair kits from wal mart. I was able to fix crack in my windshield. The key is to use that kit asap before it spreads and gets contaminated

Tug Toy, D.Tibbitt and ChevyCam Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.