It’s time, hook me up anyone?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Here's an out-the-box idea, @Lennythedriver ...are there any companies around your area that are looking for relief drivers?

It's a bullet shot in the dark, but I'll describe briefly what I do...I pull medical trailers and either deliver them to customer sites, or travel to wherever a driver in our network is on vacation or otherwise off work and fill in for them on their route. We cover 26 states, so as you can imagine, I CAN travel pretty far, but most times I stay closer to home base. If I have to be out overnight (which is pretty frequently given the scope of my position) I get a $50/day meal per diem and company-paid hotel room. So for me it's like a mix of local/regional with some seldom OTR--but it's all daycab. It works for me since I like to travel, but I'm not out three weeks at a time like I was doing full-time OTR. Oh and I'm paid hourly, with OT after 40.

All of that to say, if something like that might work for you, look around and see whats in your area, or that can get you to your area. It's a little different to be sure, but it works for me since it itches my travel scratch without having to deal with being stuck inside a 6×8 box all day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    This is a great suggestion.

4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I have been happy working for J Rayl. They have a terminal in Danville, VA, about an hour and a half north of you.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    It's probably more like home for your 34 than right back out. Getting in very late Friday night/sat morning and out Sunday night again

6. LilRedRidingHood

LilRedRidingHood Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    Sorry to hijack thread, but... :angel5:
    Please forgive me.. You're the first Magnum driver I've come across.

I'm in the PNW, I-5 corridor, north. Cold weather person. Does Magnum have freight going out here?

7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Still looking my fellow drivers on the list are

1. Ruan
    2. Climate express
    3. KLLM.
    4. Brakebush.

I might sound like a picky little B. And it’s definitely not that. I just want to find a final trucking company to work for until I retire and not have to move again. It’s really that simple. But I’ve gotten some great tips on this thread and I appreciate everyone of them.

9. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    We have some freight that goes out to the Seattle area. Apparently some that goes to the Portland area too, but i haven't taken any of those. Not our #1 lane but we do have daily freight moving to/from that region.

10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I work for FF. It really depends on the account. Most of their work is contract. I work on a short haul (300 mile radius) contract out of a GP plant. Home most nights. Out once or twice a week. Sometimes home every night for a week or two. Mostly (& its all supposed to be) drop & hook. Some live unload.

We also have 3 city guys that run to a local warehouse.
    We also have a long haul division that is based in Alabama that runs the southeast for us. They're out M-F (sometimes Thur) & home weekends... start back Sundays. They're guaranteed like 1250 per week. Which covers breakdowns, loads not ready on time etc. They usually make $1500+/- depending.
    I know they run NC. Again, all southeast. NC - FL - TX - OK - TN/KY etc.

I know they run a lot of contract work for grocery accounts like Brookshires & Kroger.
    I have buddy that works out of the Portland, TN yard. He works an evening/night shift. Will make 4 - 6 or so stops a night, then back to Portland. Sometimes pick up a back haul back to Portland. All his stops are warehouse stops I think. Some accounts deliver directly to the stores. He's guarantied $1600 per week I think if he stays out 2 weeks. Then home for a weekend.
    I think my friend runs SC some. Ohio, IN, MS, TN/KY etc. I know they run him to Houston to get him home.

So, in short, what I am saying is, every contract is independent of the others. It depends on what is negotiated for the specific contract. Pay, home time, number of truck/trailers, holidays, routes, milage, drop & hook vs live load/unload, dry van vs reefer etc.
    Just to stress.... everyone of their contracts are different & independent of each other. So, what the situation is like over there may differ from a contract over yonder.

They're a decent company.. not over the top, but a good company. New trucks every 3 years. Normally Volvo 760's.
    Also, trucks are governed differently depending on the contract they are working on. I've seen everything from 66 - 72.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.