It's all coming back to me why people quit pulling reefers

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Kansas City Long Hauler, Mar 8, 2022.

1. RefMata

RefMata Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Nogales, AZ
    You must've been smack dab in the middle of summer with an ongoing heat wave. Usually as soon as the sun sets, temps drop eventually down to about low 80s. Was parked here since midnight today and I was able to sleep with the windows open, truck off. Temp dropped to about 73, I think, few hours before sunrise. That's very tolerable compared to an overnight layover in Phoenix, Casa Grande, or Tucson in summertime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Thank You.
    I don't recall exactly the year or month (maybe August, '16) or how warm or Hot as I had departed the west bound (east side) scale/D.O.T. Check Station with a few hours on my 70 and "at that time" I was written up for having a g.p.s. unit affixed to the Left Inside Windshield at the center split (Freightliner), according to some weird "rule" about being in a Windshield Wiper Track (nowadays I'm sure such is irrelevant).
    Couldn't find such "ruling" in the federal anything, and all Drivers I chatted up knew nothing about such "infraction".

Some dead end street that the end, according to customer, was a nice short walk into Mexico, "guarded" by a 3' high Swing Gate, chain secured to a pole with lock. I didn't "go exploring".

Everyone Has Internal Temp Gauges. Some Folks can Tolerate Cold and some Folks Can tolerate Heat. I'm in the Middle.
    CHEERS!!

RefMata Thanks this.
  4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    First time you open your doors and back your reefer into a doorway made for 96” wide freight vans you’ll know they’re not the same.

5. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    NEVER Did Comprehend the need to charge MORE for a 48' or 53' REEFER offloading at a D.C. than a 48' or 53' Dry Van with no cooled Freight.
    Saw A LOT of Reefers Off Loading DRY Freight Yet Still Being Charged Like for Frozen, as I overheard inside warehouses for Lumper fees, especially in Texas @ H.E.B. and similar locations in Texas not specifically H.E.B.

6. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    How do you run out of hrs at a customer ? Log 15 min U/L, then the rest in the sleeper.

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    You left out the part about all that terrific R-E-S-P-E-C-T that one gets from dispatch...as well as the shippers and receivers. :mad:

-- Lual

8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    15 min unload, 6 hours in Sleeper then Mr. Security kicks you off their property. Taaaada! That's an easy way to run out of hours
    You need at least 7 hours in Sleeper to do split Sleeper.

Regardless good luck finding parking at 1am in the northeast or most places for that matter

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you haven’t done the short part of the split yet then the 6 hours in the bunk would be the short part of it. Later on you’d have to do 7 hours to finish it out.

10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    [​IMG]
    Windows up with AC on for me.

11. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    So you just burned 13 hours.
    Congrats!

Maybe can get that 7 in while in line for a wash out!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.