June 2016 Prime Inc; Approved and ready for orientation

Discussion in 'Prime' started by 100 Percent, May 17, 2016.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I believe when the 17's originally came out the ECM would not let you program 1 speed for the pedal, and another speed for cruise control. I thought Freightliner released an update that allows them to be set at different speeds. You may want to check with the shop, they can tell you if there was an update for it.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Yep.

If you are not concerned with the extra .05cpm, you can get a full size. The money part is up to you & your circumstance. Plan on $5-6000 less per year.

May have to wait a bit. But, with the right reasons it is possible. Just mentioned one of my students right here. '17 Freighty w/grandma running shotgun. Grandkids & children waiting in the wings for their chance to ride along.

Other students of mine have gone both ways.

Me, personally......never take time off. I'm retired (or retarded) & quite literally live in the truck. If I had gone company, full size would have been the only option for me. I just have too much #### I carry along.

Plus, I instruct & train here & there......against better judgement! LOL :eek:

:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  4. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    I believe you may be right with this.

I seem to remember hearing something like this in the past. Hasn't been a concern of mine, as it never has affected me.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Heh, I remember that guy. Yes, very thorough. :D

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  6. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    While the $6k is nice, I will have a home to come back to during home time, my better half will most likely join me a few times a year, and I looked inside of one that was at Freightliner. There was no room between the seats and the bed, and while my first few months after training I won't have time for much, I am willing to sacrifice the nickel for the space. Some don't mind it, some do it as they need every penny.

How does Prime decide who to pair you with for a Trainer? I will most likely be in SLC for orientation on the 14th, and will be within 30 days of a refresher, so I will likely go straight to TNT, or at least that is what all 3 recruiters have told me. Is it a lottery, who picks the short straw, or a roll of the dice? I heard they no longer have a meet greet with a group.

7. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Sorry, you asked this before & meant to reply. Knew I was forgetting something a day or two ago. But, do have to sleep & drive at times. (Not much sleep at times w/student.......go figure!).

Not quite sure how they are doing it now. They have been changing up some lately trying to better improve things.

I usually either take a PSD completely through TNT, if they prove bearable. Or, take a TNT over from a referral from someone I know, usually the O/O have been working for. So, kinda out of touch on this.

A few "after" PSD's I've run into seem to have been assigned someone. Not really sure if that's the way it's going now, but will try to check up on this for you.

8. augiedoggie41

augiedoggie41 Light Load Member

May 21, 2017
    I'm a rookie just got my cdl this year. Like I said I prefer a standard. I took a road test for a company in an automatic and couldn't stand it. Again like I said it's my preference.

9. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Did your student get a new truck or used ?
    Last year or the year before I came across a driver who was not happy because his FM had his truck turned down because of repeated violations.
    So I am wondering if your student got a truck from a previous driver who was being throttled back.

10. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Brand new, after having a used one for a few months.

crazeydude and albert l Thank this.
  11. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    You mean that you can get a truck governed at 58mph if you want rather than 62mph? If so, do they give you more cents per mile for that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.