Just got hit on I-80 toll road in Ohio, car spun out and hit me.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shorty102292, May 26, 2022.

1. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Insurance companies?
    Try jacked-up Pennsylvania. You can be stopped at a stop sign, get rear-ended and be found partially at fault.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    It's always the trucks fault. You could be parked in truckstop parking lot and a drunk fly off the road and bounce off your truck and some lawyer somewhere will blame you and try suing.

shorty102292 Thanks this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’ve e posted something similar to that in the past

If you fudge your logbook and end up at a parking lot or Walmart and some idiot hits you while you’re sleeping that same lawyer will find that issue in your log and say you shouldn’t have even been able to be there and the truck will lose

shorty102292 Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    It doesn't even matter if your logbook is 100% legal and hasn't been fudged in 20 years, they're still going to blame the truck simply for being at the scene.

6. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    True
    We are probably the most heavily insured vehicles
    Probably pretty rare a truck is in a wreck that’s not insured, that scales should catch that pretty quickly

7. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    A truck means money. A driver is earning money.

So. Anytime your out there anyone can purposely hit you to file a lawsuit.

The way it is...unfortunately of course...

8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    If you read my post more closely would’ve read I wasn’t there I don’t know. I was just describing how “too fast for conditions” is applied by law enforcement. And how the courts might look at it. Also, you have to understand that when operating a commercial vehicle a percentage of fault is often settled upon or found by the courts. Usually via a lawsuit with a very scrupulous attorney. read my other post on this thread about a trucker I know. Most truck drivers have no concept until they’re in the middle of a legal wrangling how complex these cases can be. Attorneys look for any angle to get a grip on the case and drive leverage and get money. And they usually do. it’s not as straightforward as two cars getting into an accident. Almost never.

teams567 and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  9. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    We live in a litigatious society.

Trucking companies have money. People know that. Therefore #### like that happens.

alds Thanks this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    I'm simply stating that "too fast for conditions" is a ######## excuse to sue somebody who is not really at fault. I was not saying you were saying he was driving too fast for conditions. It's an entirely subjective and opinionated accusation that should have no place in a justice system.

11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Yep, I watch football and I equate “too fast for conditions” kind of like a past interference call. It’s a judgment call. And it’s often applied wrongly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.