King pin causing alignment issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by mitmaks, Jan 25, 2021.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I had king pins replaced on my 13 KW T660. Now it pulls left right. I have to constantly correct it going down the road.
    Took it to alignment shop, they jacked up front end and said my king pins are too tight. Said I should be able to grab wheel and turn it left and right with ease. I can move it left and right but need to put some effort into it. Took it back to where king pins were done and guy checked it out said he doesn't see problem. Said my alignment is good after measuring it with tape measure.
    Should I find another alignment shop or someone who can redo king pins? I'm at a loss what to do here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like it is toed out to much on the alignment.
    Does the steering wheel return to center on its own?
    Also Was the axel removed from the truck when they did any of the work?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Dont think axle was removed

Rideandrepair and Hulld Thank this.
  5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Ok good
    If it was I was wondering if they left the wedge shims out?
    Does the steering wheel return to center on its own?

Rideandrepair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Some people like casting stones. I try not to as not the first one without sin.
    Are your new bushings solid brass like come from the factory? If they are a little tight just give them a shot of grease every week, they will wear in quickly.
    When king pins are replaced it normally changes the toe in setting. Incorrect toe will cause wandering.
    I would look for an alignment shop away from those guys. If that is all that was done set the toe and go.

7. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Yes it returns back. Dont think they messed with gear box

Hulld and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I'd fire both of them.....

Mechanic/shop should have handled the job and saw it through completion and be responsible for repairs.

Worse case senario any alignment shop worth a hill of beans should also have been able to correct the issue, regardless if shop A fubbed it up or not.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Too tight? I can’t imagine they put too large of a shim on either kingpin. That would be pretty hard to do. Maybe they didn’t ream them out enough? I’m just guessing if that’s actually the case, they will probably wear in, and steering will get easier. My first guess is that the alignment shop is wrong. Take it to another shop. My last guess is that now since replacing king.pins, the current bad alignment is really causing problems that weren’t as apparent when king pins were worn and front end was sloppy.

Dino soar, pushbroom, mitmaks and 2 others Thank this.
  10. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Alignment shop told me it won't get looser with time. Maybe they're wrong. They do have good rating on Google.
    Before replacing king pins my truck went straight in line. I actually enjoyed driving it on straight roads

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Friend drove his minivan to repair shop. When they got done with it, it didn't run...:violent1:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.