KLLM pay increase--biggest in the company's history

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by lual, Jan 23, 2022.

1. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    It sounds like they are stepping up their game. I like the home time pay. My companies pay structure is better overall, but that home time pay would be icing on the cake.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Do you think they're trying to encourage drivers to run more miles?

4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Thank you for the real numbers.

5. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I think they want to encourage drivers to stay out. We lost a lot of drivers during the pandemic. According to FMCSA stats we went from like 2100 to 1600, idk if lease ops are included or excluded. It looks like we’re back up some at 1750.

The advertised changes are mostly for otr and regionals. Some of the dedicated accts increased with this announcement, but it’s not clear to me if they are also getting paid hometime or practical miles.

I’m not sure if layover got changed, but it was $50 a day. I hated it. They need to increase layover pay if they want to encourage drivers to stay out, if it didn’t change, I would get more for a hometime day than a layover day. If I’m sitting sitting around with excess time, I wanna go home and take a break, and then see if things are better when I go out next time.

If I was getting good loads, I tended to stay out longer, when they got bad, I put in my hometime request. I was essentially trying to use hometime to get me out of a bad area and back to the better areas.

6. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Wouldn't that home time policy discourage staying out? Hell, if I was being paid to stay home I'd maximize my time there.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    More like encouraging a better work life balance.

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  8. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    For the record, I switched to a dedicated acct that isn’t affected by the new changes. We are expecting to get bumped when the contract renews. Looking at our job board you can see who got the raises now. They sent the info out and are telling all of us about the changes. There’s more detailed explanations by an official rep on our Facebook.

Max time with same trk is 7 days, or you’ll be asked to clean out and it’ll probably be given to a different driver. I wanted to make the most of my hometime so I would do 3-4 weeks for 6-7 days off. Now instead of losing the 8th day, I’d get paid for it.

It probably won’t encourage drivers who only run 2-3 weeks to stay out longer. But I’d certainly feel a bit encouraged to run 5-7 weeks since I just like having a week off and now I won’t “lose” days, I’d get paid for all of them. I’d prefer 2 weeks off anyway, but I don’t want to keep swapping trks.

It should be a flat out bonus for any driver that likes to run and run and run. Run 7 weeks, take 1 day of hometime, bam $1400. They should just flat out give drivers who’ve been out over 7 weeks an extra $200 a week, some might like keeping the hometime available. I can send in that suggestion. Some of our dispatchers might even be willing to enter layovers at that rate.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  9. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    That would certainly be a good carrot to dangle to encourage people to stay out a bit more, and reward those that do.

10. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    (The steadiest most surefire way to make money on this industry is to get out here and burn up the highways.

Always been this way. Trucking is like being the night watchman at the compress. If you want to be in Friday by 5 to see the kids game or program, fish Saturday, party late Saturday night, leave out late Sunday...Fine, get a job with those parameters and for less money. For big bucks, blow & go & come.

You want a normal time with family activities. Don't take the compress job. The good pay is for the bad hours and being alone and still responsible for all.

But; if you can decide what you want most, you can plan on doing the tough hours and time away from family for a planned period, bank the money, then change to a more desirable job.
    The problem is that so many people are not willing to sacrifice, work their way up, save and invest, then enjoy the earned success.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Sacrifice.....the key word. I couldn't have put it better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.