Knight drivers, be veeerrrry careful when in the DFW area!

Discussion in 'Knight' started by tracyq144, Feb 1, 2010.

1. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    So If you are stuck at the terminal, waiting for the shop to finish "work" on your truck or waiting for your dickspatcher to find a load or taking a 34 hr reset, just 1 dumb question:
    Where are you supposed to get anything to eat???
    Do they have a car available to drive to a local restaurant at least?
    Hell, even SNI, had at least 1 car that you could sign out to run to do errands or get a real meal, and they actually have a cafeteria at most terminals!
    Once again, Knight is just re-affirming their policy that their truck and load are MORE IMPORTANT than the driver!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    Well, if it was me, and I knew that I was going to be in the shop or on a reset, I'd stop on the way and get some supplies.
    And it was a nice little convenience to be able to sign the car out at Schneider and do your running, unfortunately Knight doesn't do that. No big deal really. They're in business to move freight from point A to point B, not provide a company car for all the drivers.

4. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    So you think it's ok for the company to hold you at the terminal? A truck can be stolen just as easy at a customer's location or a fuel stop, theives dont care!
    I think they just dont trust their drivers anymore! I KNOW they dont care about them!

5. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Again, in fairness, they don't "hold" you there, you are free to run up to the truckstop, and do your business, it's just against the rules to park there. So while they don't have an automobile that you can sign out and use, you can take your tractor and/or tractor and trailer. That's probably a lot easier than the hassle of signing out a car, and all.

Funny (strange, not haha) thing is that until I got thru this terminal, I had never heard of any such rule/policy. Neither about DFW or the Georgia thing, either.

edited for spelling

6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    About three years ago Knight lost about a half a trailer of beer at the TA in Dallas. I have no idea the how's and why's. From day one my terminal safety guy forbidded us from breaking at a Dallas truckstop. At the time this didn't include the Loves which was our fuel stop before they wasted millions on the plush and well lit still mostly vacant Hutchins terminal. Then about two years ago a theif bobtailed into the then wide open Hutchins gravel yard lot and drove off with a load of televisions. That's when they installed the government spec'd fence around the yard only to be torn down a year later when they built the terminal. The Georgia rule has been around for years also but each terminal has it's own rules of enforcement for it but you can ignore that one as everybody does. Some of Knights rules are made in a make believe fantasy world by someone that probably cannot even feed themselve.

7. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    And as for theives knowing what ya got, they know. Some guy will note trailer numbers of trailers pulling out of...Best Buy in Ardmore Oklahoma, send a quick text out to a few associates and they'll keep an eye out for it. Or they may just follow you, knowing that most loads go to DFW or OKC and besides that the driver is going to stop for lunch or something. They also know some nit wit drivers leave a key in the ignition at all times in addition to having the knowledge to disable gps trackers. All a driver can do is use his head and not try to be a tough guy if targeted. This isn't your property or familys safety it's junk owned by someone who doesn't care to even know your name.

8. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Just watching on fox news about truck cargo thefts in the rise. Many companys telling drivers places to avoid.
    Just like when I was in the PI, USAF would tell us what bars to avoid. Not saying everybodydid so. But if you didn't you payed the. Consequences.

9. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

I believe that was an "Amen!" :biggrin_2559:

It's hard to believe that the co. has any experienced drivers in upper mgmt with many of the rules/decisions that they make...like parking legally in any street in any area, including industrial outside a customer, is considered as being a "sitting duck".....:biggrin_25522:

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    And with your three batteries how are you going to keep your food from going bad?

11. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Are those "3" batteries 1000 CCA batts? Volvo used to use just 3 of those (my first Volvo was a 1997) since all deisels need 3000 CCA to start over the weather extremes. Freightliner used to use 4 batteries, but 4 x's 750 CCA, which is 3000 CCA total....

BTW, my 1st 'new' Volvo (2001) had to have it's batts replaced 1st time out with only 4000 miles on it...had done at dealer in SLC :biggrin_25521:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.