Knight drivers, be veeerrrry careful when in the DFW area!

Discussion in 'Knight' started by tracyq144, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    You know, I don't believe so. Whatever they are, they don't last long, and can not start shut down and restart the bunk heater without dying. I've been doing a "test" with my truck (almost new truck batteries, replaced within, well, around 6 months or so) and with only using the light and bunk heater, the alarm will go off shortly.

It's pretty sad, but I carry my own batteries to power my own stuff now thank you very much. :biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Never had a prob with running my bunk heater (supposedly 1/2 amp max) all night, but my cooler and inverter/TV/laptop all together would take the batts down to 'alarm' in a couple of hours.

But speaking of how 'cheap' Knight is, I used to pick up brand new trailers (still had the 2x4's on the sides) at Phx, and they would swap out one whole set of tires on one axle (all 4 tires) with used recaps!! And then use the 4 brand new tires taken off for 'other' purposes...:biggrin_25513:

4. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I'm guessing those 2x4's are used when they set the box on the tandems. "Yea just leave them 2x4's on the trailers. Knock 15 bucks off the cost of the trailer" So they leave them on eventually ripping them off with a crow bar leaving the screws to be found later by some driver trying to squeeze between the trailers at some customer that parks them 6 inches apart.

Their probably saving those 2x4's to build yet another terminal just to say they have 29. Nevermind they can't get any drivers to stay longer than 12 hours.

It's the little things that make you laugh at Knightstein Transport. Ha Ha fkn idiots !

5. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Yeah, ha ha, I wondered if the little over hang of the 2x4's on the sides didnt make the trailer 'over sized' in width?!!' Never measured...:biggrin_2559:

6. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe they should issue every trucker a Rottwieler or other big, mean, meat eating dog to put in the trailer to protect their precious cargo.

After they eat a couple of thieves they could start putting security systems that would use a recording of said type dog barking on some of the trailers. Let the thieves figure out which trailer has the real dog in them.

The only reason I suggest the recorded version is because you know these cheapskate companies wouldn't want to pay to feed a real one for every truck.

7. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    Thieves have guns, we don't. Thieves don't have to log their stops, we do. Thieves do not have a 10 hour stop mandated, we do. Thieves can park their mode of transportation anywhere, we can't. So take a milk cow and break all four legs. When milking time comes kick her for not standing to be milked.

There are only so many parking spaces in the country at a time. Make laws that are impossible to obey then add to that company rules that can only be followed by breaking the law. Going east on I-30 with the intentions of sleeping in Sulfur Springs is fine...till a drunk wrecks and ties up traffic on the bridge over the lake for 3 hours.

Sometimes you just have to punt I guess.

8. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA

I've never been held at a terminal. You're free to come and go as you please, which I do at every terminal that I've been to, and never have had a problem. I've had my truck red tagged in Phoenix, and had to wait for the next day to get repairs...talked to the shop and they removed the tag so I could go eat/do laundry, and they picked up the next morning where they left off.
    And you're right, a truck can be stolen from any location, just depends on how badly the thief wants it. But I would guess that the odss are a little better if the trucks are parked on secured private property.
    As for the company not caring about me....come on now. Like I said, they are in business to move freight, and that's what they do. When I was hired here, the agreement was that I'd be paid XX amount of money per dispatched mile...not that I'd be best buddies with the Knights and get all warm and fuzzy with them. I do my job, and they sign the paychecks...anything above and beyond that is nice, but I don't count on it, or get upset about it.

tracyq144 Thanks this.
  9. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    I run my fridge all the time and haven't had a problem yet. In the winter when I run the bunk heater I unplug the fridge...don't need it anyway if it's cold outside.
    My Pete has 4 batteries, and I run the fridge, bunk heater, and my inverter, and haven't had a problem yet.

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    MY PETE and THERE ARE FOUR BATTERIES.

Volvos have three, three 700 cca batteries.

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Don't worry, I'm sure we can find another Knight truck that would be willing to give you a jump if you need one. :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.