lack of self confindence/want to be a trucker

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JamesWeed, Apr 21, 2019.

1. JamesWeed

JamesWeed Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Okay my story...
    Im 54yo been working same factory job for 34 freakin years. Long story short, my job is terribly boring and management sucks. Ready to leave there.

Was talking to wife some about trucking, but due to her bad health and insurance needs, I never could get serious about trucking.
    Anyway my wife passed away some months back, and I long for the solitude of trucking, compared to the back stabbing at my current job.
    My problem is I'm somewhat intimidated about learning to drive a big truck. I mean I am having real anxiety over this. To walk away from a 34 year job(that I hate) to get behind the wheel of a big rig, both scares the hell out of me and exites me. I need a new start. Dont have a wife at home anymore and kids are mostly grown. My problem seems to be lack of confindense to make a change. Any you guys feel this way, or am I just a total pus lol!

D.Tibbitt, Lepton1, austinmike and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikeposttown

mikeposttown Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2019
    WELL i drive for 7 years now.. the idea of an accident is scary.. most of them happen around taking turns too fast i think.. drive very cautious around turns.. i do .. slow

4. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Anybody would be nervous to change careers if you are wanting to change make it a safe move go to trucking school on weekends and obtain your cdl then once you receive it you can search for jobs ltl jobs pay very well and are obtainable fresh out of school just have to apply to all of them and hope they are short handed in your area

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll be ok; most are nervous at first. Trucking is easy really.
    Freymiller is a good choice for you in your situation.
    www.driveforfreymiller.com - click on "Recent Graduates."
    Freymiller will reimburse your cdl school tuition back to you.

6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Did it when I was 55, I'm 64 now, retiring next year, will be over a million miles. You can do it. The real question is, you mentioned " kids are mostly grown". Kids need you since they lost mom. Don't know how you can raise kids alone from a truck in God knows where. Good luck with it. Maybe you wait a little longer till the kids are fully grown.

Vic Firth and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One Kansas driver posted on here that Seaboard Foods hired him right out of cdl school as a company driver. Refrigerated and feed tankers and livestock pig trailers.
    [​IMG].

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Just go for it, get in touch with Chinatown, he'll give you the names of companies that are in your area and will train you to drive.Definitely learn on a manual trans, so you don't limit yourself. If you like the solitary lifestyle and don't mind staying out there, the moving industry might be for you, they stay out for months at a time and make big $. Don't procrastinate, just do it, believe it or not you're not that old for a trucking career, companies(good companies) want older, more responsible people to drive. Man, if I was you're age and had no strings, oh well, also very sorry for your loss. Good luck and don't be scared, it's nothing but a thing.

Lumper Humper, Lepton1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Go to the nearest truck stop and spend few hours people watching. If those people can do it, you can do it too.
    I don't know how else to cheer up a grown ### man

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Visit a cdl school in your area and chat with the school administrator and instructors.
    Watch the current students practicing. You'll see, it's no big deal to learn.
    54 yrs. old is young in this industry.

Lepton1 and tscottme Thank this.
  11. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    It’s not hard to learn how to drive a truck, like any new skill you’ll have to put in the time and practice to get the feel for it. You’ll go through all the stages of learning from totally overwhelmed to completely comfortable in 2-3 months, and then when you get out on the road, you’ll quickly fall into the rhythm of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.