Landstar Agent | Jim Burkett

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by ttnae, Apr 2, 2024.

1. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I've been in this for over 20 years and I've notices a level lacking accountability within landstar. See, if we the carrier do something that is unethical of costly or bad, landstar will come down on us. In this case, we picked up a load in Michigan in January bound for TN. Upon arrival, we are told that we needed an appointment. My dispatch notified the broker Jim Burkett who said that he'd look into it. To this day, this would be the last that we'd hear from him. The delivery was to rake place on Tuesday but could not be facilitated until Thursday evening at 22:00 effectively costing us 3 days of revenue.

We'd worked with Jim in the past and finding this out of character, became worried, even checking local papers to see if he'd had an emergency. Surprisingly, we located funeral arrangements for an elderly woman with the same last name and assumed a relation. After over a month of Jim not returning calls or emails we reached out to LS, multiple times. Their general mindset is, "He's the broker and you have to deal with him".

So Jim is flying the LS flag and all of it's glory, you'll stand behind Jim on us carriers but we can not get the same support??????? Interesting.

After a little more persistence, we reached someone in the dispatch area that listened long enough to reach out to Mr. Burkett. She copied us in on this email. Jim did not respond to our request but took the time to TRY to rip the LS employee a new one for copying us in on the email which we asked her to send. That didn't go over so well for im as her response was sharp, very sharp. I thank her for her attempt.

To this day, Jim Burkett has failed to respond or to reach out concerning the expenses associated with the additional wasted time on this load.

It never ceases to amaze me how brokers completely discount our investments in equipment and people as, "Industry standard", "That's trucking", "That's all that we have in it". or WETF it is that he is thinking but it's brokers like this and incidents like this that reinforce that brokers are not necessary and that their prevalence is the only reason that they are still around.

Boxer Global Logistics LLC
    1843 Ross Mountain Park Rd.
    New Florence, PA - 15944

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2024
    Reason for edit: Remove link and phone number
    Lite bug and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Every post you make you always say brokers aren’t necessary but they appear to be a very necessary part of your business. Seems with all the grief that brokers cause you that you’d simply get your own business and stop using them.

It would be like me talking about how bad Michelin tires suck and how they should go out of business. And I keep saying that for 4 or 5 years. But then you go out to my driveway and see Michelin tires on all three axles of my truck.

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    This smells like a food DC delivery. But even if it's not, you took a load 600 miles with a firm appointment and didn't verify the appointment yourself?

How long have you been in trucking?

5. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Brokers didn't completely discount your investment in equipment and people, JIM BURKETT did. There are plenty of brokers out there that would treat you fairly because they understand good carriers are an important part of their business model.

We had a driver last week that missed a delivery into a UNFI and held the load hostage until WE paid his late fee. I'm not griping on the TRF about it because I understand this was one bad apple and doesn't represent truck drivers as a whole.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    How did it effectively cost you 3 days?
    Supposed to drop Tuesday, but instead dropped Thursday.
    I always expect to not be able to reload til next day regardless cause what if they break down, you break down, the system breaks down.
    You only missed Wed & Thursday,

I’ve only worked 10 days this year.
    I’m not…Wait counting today 11 days.
    Remember the saying, “Expect the Unexpected?”

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  7. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    It didn’t sound like he ever had an appointment or even checked if he needed one just loaded and went to the consignee.Sounds very strange to me that you obviously loaded a load to someone you haven’t delivered to in the past and didn’t ask about weather the load needed an appointment before you loaded or immediately after loading.me personally I call the consignee myself and ask what there policy is on delivery. I always figure it’s my time being invested here I’m not trusting that to a broker

Otr Traveler, 86scotty and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Not everyone is inefficient with time like that. Some people book reloads for the same day as a deliveries and might even have multiple reloads scheduled for a few days ahead. I agree with op that's effectively 3 days of lost revenue because he can't grab a reload until Friday at the soonest.

shanman and broke down plumber Thank this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Maybe i’m just used to hoppers, may have a 6 appointment but be full/lab guy on break and can’t find him to run sample, and finally be empty 6-8 hours later, and put in for detention 1 out of 10 will pay.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    You are so smart, (And you may be), please tell me where I will get direct freight. We have 2 direct customers and they absolutely love our service. I have a hubspot account where I track sales efforts. There are over 400 companies and 10,000 entries from our efforts. I go door to door occasionally and I hear the same old thing. "We use a broker"

So, I know what I'm talking about but we still have to try to eat. Now, the brokers exist because they have beaten us at a game that individually, we can not compete in. If you have 20 loads a day to ship, there are few carriers that can handle it committed. Depending on the length of haul, this will use 40-60 trucks. BUT, lets say that a carrier like Swift quotes with all of their expenses and provides a rate of . . $2.40. The broker will come in and offer $2.35 and get the freight. They will put it on the load board and the poor sob that gets the load gets it at $1.95 per mile. YOU will say, well the stupid mofo should not have taken it. I, on the other hand understand that there are a couple of sided to this.

I understand this mess and I still stick by my original statement that Brokers are not necessary and they are not. What they have is a convenience provided service that takes advantage of the laziness of shippers.

Did you know that in the airlines industry, it is illegal for an airline to operate at a rate under their cost? This was done to stop NWA from squeezing out smaller airlines on same lane service. Brokers have no transportation costs in this. Not a single penny of transportation cost and this is literally the transportation industry. So, what am I missing.

11. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    1. We would have reloaded on Tuesday (1),
    2. Wed we sat, No reload (2),
    3. Thursday 10PM delivery No reload (3)
    We lost 3 days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.