Landstar brokers.....bottom feeders of the load boards.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by codyschmidt, Dec 5, 2013.

1. codyschmidt

codyschmidt Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    landrum,sc
    Landstar brokers are pretty much the bottom feeders of the load boards when you call about a rate on a load.

Posted load from a landstar broker out of Atlanta. Load went from Waco,Tx to Tampa, Fl 1146 loaded miles rate of $1500 ...WTF? Come on greedy broker, you know that a van cannot go into Florida for less the $2 a mile because there is no freight out of Florida for vans.

This is not the only Landstar broker that is a bottom feeder, I called on Landstar loads picking up on Military bases in several parts of the country going to another military base somewhere else and the rates that Landstar was offering to move them were INSULTS!

You guys know dang well that when the government is paying for something to get moved...The government is charged a good price to move it.

Landstar...bottom feeders of the load boards!

just_sayin, ralphbohm and truckfam Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    I work for Landstar and 99% of the agents I deal with are pleasant to talk to.Some can be talked into paying a bit more.

Problem is your dealing with the loads that we already picked over.These agents are alot of times the 1% we don't want to deal with.They usually take the lazy way out and just pull loads from other boards.So probably better to say some Landstar brokers are bottom feeders but then again so are most brokers out there

4. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I dont see the problem. I used to work for landstar before my speeding ticket. If you dont like the rate then pick something else. If you need tog et tot he place that load is going, then you have to accept the lower rate or bargain with them. If no one hauls it at that rate, the rate will go up. There are obviously people willing to haul for that rate. At LS you run your business. You can choose when and where you go. If you dont want cheep stuff, then dont even bother calling those brokers.

walterjacobo15 Thanks this.
  5. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    A lot of Agents just copy and post loads, the only difference some has pretty good rates the others don't, that simple

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i'm pulling a ls load right now. it's above my minimum. and beat the pants off all the other crap leaving my home city.

$1.20 is aboput the going rate from home right now. and most of THAT, goes into really bad areas around my region.

walterjacobo15 Thanks this.
  7. jellybean

jellybean Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Central MD
    You're blaming them for cheap freight? Lets say you're the broker on that load from TX to FL. The shipper is paying you $2000 to move the freight. If someone is willing to haul it for $1500 or roughly $1.30 a mile are you gonna give it to them or say no I wanna find someone with a higher rate cause its the right thing to do? I know what I would do. Brokers are in business to make money not ensure everyone reading their load posting can afford to haul the freight. It's your job to run a profitable business.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You don't have to haul the cheap freight. I would not waste my time on those agents who had cheap loads. Find other agents who do have better paying loads. Landstar is like any other brokerage. They have good and bad agents and good nd poor rates. It may take time, but it is up to you to seek out those who have the better paying freight.

9. bsands

bsands Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Not all Landstar Brokerages are created equal. You need to know which one you're dealing with. I won't say who the cheaps are, but check to see if it's Inway, Ranger or Logistics & you'll quickly learn which ones are worth dealing with.

10. jescott418

jescott418 Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    Landstar is full of wannabe agents anymore. They are not really anything more then a conduit for a third party or they simply know so little about the business I wonder how they even got on with Landstar? Yes, Landstar has some really good agents who know their stuff and generally know what BCO's need to get for freight to certain areas. Like Florida you better figure good bucks because your dead heading out. Texas is a outbound problem state yet the Landstar board anywhere your at has plenty of Texas freight. Believe me if Landstar did forced dispatch of BCO's that kind of freight would go away. Landstar's Achilles heal in its business model is lack of good lanes. Sure some have some in's with agents but much of the new BCO's end up on the load board being discouraged by one way freight lanes. I have run into plenty of BCO's who sat for days trying to get out of areas. You can't make money doing a lot of that. No matter what your last load paid! Even BCO advisors know that some places you just don't want to go unless you have connections. Landstar is a company built on irregular freight and it places emphasis on moving loads, not creating good freight lanes. Landstar could easily do away with the BCO and simply be a logistic company. I suspect someday it will go the route of CH Robinson and jettison its equipment and all the regulation BS that goes along with having a fleet.

11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    What I have found is the agent that are posting on load boards tend to have the cheaper freight. The better brokers and loads never have to be posted on boards unless they have a problem and need something covered fast.

When I was running independent I was hauling a lot of LS freight and made good money. Great strategy is to find freight on LS going into markets they are weak in. In order for them to move the freight they have to bid high rates because the BCO isn't going to take it unless they have money to run cheap or MT. But being independent you have the option to run other freight and get better return freight than the BCO could ever dream of.

One of my favorite while pulling flatbed was to pull out of IL to ND for LS. They had nothing coming out but would grab hay going to TX from a direct customer then grab something oversized into MO then DH back to IL.

spectacle13 and slslogistics Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.