Landstar rates , what are you guys averaging on all miles for Van?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by freightwipper, Nov 26, 2014.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    soooo whats the catch that makes it different from having your own authority benefit wise? it seems to me from what you guys are saying that you are way better off leasing since they will be more likely to pay a FSC and provide the insurance and all that. So what's the pluses of having your own number?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You run under Landstar rules. Gotta get your truck inspected every 4 months, gotta have a e log (well everyone is about to now) and yeah you're paying them up to 35% on each load..

I'm too lazy to have my own authority, only thing about having your own authority is you answer to no one and you take all the risk

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I see. I'd probably go that way with it too.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The term 'lease' and 'leased' had me confused to begin with too. Anything involving 'lease' to me meant a transfer of property, and you don't just 'give' LS your truck. Of course 'lease-purchase' had to come along and crash the party, joined by it's drunk sister ' Lisa Truck'.

Contracting to, is better I guess. You are contracting your services to LS, in the form of a driver (often you), a truck (they don't own them), and a trailer (they DO own them) - to move freight and get paid for doing so under their DOT number/authority.

whoopNride, DC843 and sawmill Thank this.
  6. PGALLC

PGALLC Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Spartanburg SC

If i already have my Owen authority, Is it better run under my signs or leased to LS, I heard if ill run under my authority i can only search %30 of the landstar loads and if you leased you can see them all ? is it true ?

im driving van, get in about $1.60 per mile, So im trying to get step deck but i think its harder to get loads for step deck by my self, so im thinking tpo lease somewhere

7. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I'm pretty sure that the agents will farm out anything they can book a truck on, whether it's a BCO or not. I don't think it has anything to do with a set percentage of the available loads.

And if you're really already running with your own authority and have found a way to make it work for you then why stop doing that to lease to someone? Most people see leasing to a company as a stepping stone to an eventual independent operation. Now if you're having trouble and are relying on factoring for your money then you should consider leasing on somewhere. Are you relying on load boards or do you have direct customers? Do you want the challenge or are you just looking to make the biggest buck in the shortest amount of time? I guess what I am saying is you need to be honest, at least with yourself, about what your goals are. Different strokes for different folks.

PGALLC Thanks this.
  8. PGALLC

PGALLC Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Spartanburg SC

i dont use factoring, i have few brokers that gives me stable load from home SC-CO way better then they pay an load board now, but still I want to move from VAN to step deck or 7 car trailer my freind works there get in $2.20+ per miles all the time ....

but i like the idea of Step Deck more

9. PGALLC

PGALLC Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Spartanburg SC

and the other thing I get my owen loads for VAN but for Step Deck I think its gonna be way harder for me cause i dont know Step Deck Rates plus you gotta get partials all the time ... i got use to get loads for VAN by my self its pretty easy but Step Deck i donno ....

that why im thinking to lease somewhere

10. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Well if you don't know much about it, now ain't the time to learn. And if you have something steady and stable I wouldn't let that go until rates go up and making the change is less risky.

On the other hand if you get a good deal on a stepdeck and time the failure right you might be able to sell it for more than you paid.

PGALLC Thanks this.
  11. PGALLC

PGALLC Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Spartanburg SC

ya its stable loads but still for all the miles empty/loaded i get $ 1.60 +- If i know there is a way to make more i want make more lol hehe

do you think SD loads will go up before summer ? do you drive Step Deck ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.