Legal to pull a tanker with no tanker endorsement?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by LTL Bull, Oct 30, 2023.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    So my boy and I recently left the flatbed operation we were working for and I ended up with a dry bulk outfit and he ended up at one of the large local farmers co op. He does not have a tanker endorsement and has been pulling grain wagons and dry vans for them. Today they wanted him to pull a non hazardous tank trailer. He told them that he couldn’t as he doesn’t have a tank endorsement. The higher ups, to include the safety director told him that he could pull it without an endorsement “because of the type of work we do”. Is there some sort of exemption for agriculture services that allows this? I’ve never heard of such a thing

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    if it's dry bulk tanker he is ok. if liquid then he needs tanker endorsement. i believe

tscottme, Suspect Zero, Lav-25 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    It was some sort of non hazardous liquid fertilizer,

5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Need tanker, even if it’s former portable tanks mounted permanently onto a chassis, to operate a vehicle that has Loaded liquid or gas containers. Cargo that includes liquid or gas containers with a capacity greater than 119 gallon.
    You do not need a tanker endorsement to haul dry bulk freight, such as plastic and wooden pellets, flour or grain.
    These regulations are designed to include tanker vehicles as well as dry vans that haul large containers. One example of these containers is Intermediate Bulk Containers(IBCs), which hold well over 119 gallons.

From Fmcsa

a tanker endorsement is required on the CDLs of all drivers who carry liquid loads that total or exceed 1,000 gallons. That 1,000 gallons may be in one tank or distributed across multiple tanks of 119 gallons or more.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Bean Jr. and LTL Bull Thank this.
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A tanker endorsement is not needed for dry bulk. I hauled cement and lime for years before I got my endorsement.

8. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Honestly though tanker is really easy to get. you just go down and take a test on the computer.

tscottme, Bean Jr., austinmike and 3 others Thank this.
  9. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    I’m pulling dry bulk and have tanker, they tried to get him to pull a liquid tanker and he does not have endorsement

tscottme and austinmike Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    In Wisconsin, if it is strictly for farm use, it's considered a motorized feed wagon, and no endorsements or license plate is needed. I believe there is a max radius they can go.

Bean Jr. and austinmike Thank this.
  11. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    This is what they want him to pull

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.