Legislation on overtime pay?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I did have a guy bring deli sandwiches from home for both of us! They were really good, but I didn’t realize at the time that he was just trying to save time. Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    “Screwed over” is a matter of opinion. Some of us don’t have much need to complain.

One would do well to be careful what he asks for.

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    My company already has two different tiers where you get paid OT after 8 and another where you get paid OT after 45 hours.

The crappiest start times usually end up with OT after 8 while everyone else gets a late start time that gets OT after 45 hours.

This is how our barn is set up and any new changes to the federal labour laws won't effect us much.

As for everyone else, companies have to compete for both labour and balancing costs. If you enjoy a high hourly rate but only get OT after 60 hours, this swap might actually hurt you.

So they might have to loosen their purse strings and pay OT, but that extra labour costs will usually be balanced out in fewer or more expensive benefits or lower top rate wages. Best case scenario is you will make the same, worst case is that companies will exploit the new changes and pay less. This will happen in reduction of hours or just lower overall hourly pay.

5. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    YRC/Holland get OT after 8 hours a day, and at our terminal ( I'm sure its the same at all of them ) people abuse the hell out of it. Since they can't use cameras, gps, or anything else to punish a driver, take an hour to hook to their trailer and leave the yard when their trailer was ready when they got there, take 2-3 hours to load their peddle/break a trailer, guys will just sit at customers for 30-45 minutes at each stop, there is no recourse for returned freight/missed appointments, we have guys who will literally sit in trailers on frieght doing nothing to get their 10 hours in, walk around with bills on the dock like they are reading bills for another driver or looking for freight. So yeah, might as well let everyone else in on the abuse.

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Sounds like a company problem. If the management cared they could easily implement quotas or figure out how long tasks should take on average.

7. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    They are working on it for dock work as they just implemented a computer system for moving freight on the dock, so there isn't a past practice covering it. But for deliveries depending on the terminal, the dayton terminal being one of them, because they haven't ever tracked or had quotas for deliveries they can't implement them without negotiations with the union because of past practice covering it. It also doesn't help that in the contract it states they can't use, cameras in trucks, gps, eld, or anything else to punish a driver unless a legal violation occured.

8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    All the Holland/Reddaway trucks have Omnitracks. If a TM really cared about productivity they could pull up the data and compare it to the driver's workflow. I've also seen TMs contacting customers to see how much time drivers are spending in their yards after being loaded/unloaded.

The only problem I have is the satellite pings aren't that accurate and if you are in an area with high rise buildings, Omnitracks will "stale" your location even though you are moving. My old boss called me out on it saying I was sitting around for 45 minutes at each stop when in reality it failed to show the one or two stops I was doing in-between.

9. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We had a guy that would get on and off at every ramp on the way back to the plant every day.

Good for another 25 to 45 minutes.

InTooDeep and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That has a tendency to wind up falling under the radar when a sizable number of the offenders turn out to be members of protected classes and the TM fears backlash from HR for enforcing standards uniformly.

Gearjammin' Penguin and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.