Lemon?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by csmith1281, Nov 1, 2018.

1. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    And now you know why that one was for sale. Should've bought the one you were driving since you knew that one was reliable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The way i read your posts is that you had a run off bad luck which was seriously compounded by "technicians" who didn't know what they were doing.
    From how i look at it is 2 fold.
    Firstly
    Most if not all the issues are fixed and working good.
    Selling a truck after you fix it is not a smart move.
    Granted you have no garantee it will stay good but the same can be said if you buy another secondhand truck.
    So i would keep it for now.
    Secondly
    Was all the work done at the same dealership?
    If so.......time to find another place to work on your truck.

csmith1281 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    We own and operate 8 Peterbilt 579s (6 are '16 and 2 are '15 models, all equiped with MX-13 paccar rngine)). We have had nothing but problems out of these trucks from day one. We've had countless problems with aftertreatment, electrical, and transmissions (all the '16s are auto, the '15s are 10 speed). These trucks have been terrible on reliability and have cost us a fortune in lost revenue from down time. Our local Peterbilt dealer's shop has been terrible too. They are incompetent and disorganized (we've switched all of our warranty repairs to the local KW dealer, as they can do all warranty work on all paccar products). We will not be buying Peterbilts ever again.

KB3MMX and csmith1281 Thank this.
  5. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    No, Paccar engines have a reputation for electrical problems in the engines emissions system.

6. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I asked. It was a no go.

7. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Good idea.

[/QUOTE]Was all the work done at the same dealership?
    If so.......time to find another place to work on your truck.[/QUOTE]

No, some was done in Springfield, Missouri. Some near my house in Gainesville, Georgia.

8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I am beginning to wonder if there is anything "good" out here to purchase? From people i talk to and read on here mayby detroit is the way to go. Been thinking of another trk to replace mine. But don't want a piece of junk.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I honestly believe that the biggest problem with newer trucks isn't the quality off said trucks but the lack off decent places to fix somethings when they break.
    The wait times are too long and the quality off work is in a lot off places is too low.

10. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    My truck went into the shop Thursday at 1 PM. Tuesday at 1 PM, I finally received a written estimate, along with the news that they had not completed any work on my truck. Except for the 1.25 hours of diagnostic time, which they were glad to charge me for. They hadn’t even located the air leak when I told them exactly where it was and even drew a picture and texted it to the service manager. So I pulled my truck out of the shop, thanked them for nothing, and hit the road. Five days of downtime for absolutely nothing… Talking to my Road Assist advisor, he says Georgia and Florida are terrible areas for dealerships service in general. Since this is the third time this has happened to me at this shop, I’m glad to know it’s a thing so at least I can avoid this happening again.

KB3MMX and daf105paccar Thank this.
  11. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Did you have an appointment? Did you give the shop an allowance to complete repairs requested and inform them to proceed with repairs and that they were pre authorized to do so? Why do you feel they do not deserve to be compensated for diagnostic time? Otherwise, the shop probably was just following procedure per state laws and doing there best to provide service to trucks that come in and in the order received.

I'm not saying your wrong.....or that the service location did everything correct........just trying to give you ammo so that your next service experience can be better to give you more up time. Communication is key. Most shops across the country are back logged due to lack of experienced help.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.