Let’s say you buy a $50,000 truck for cash....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lennythedriver, Jul 7, 2020.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You need at least 20k in reserves to spend on it within next 2-3 years. At about 500 000 miles the maintenance costs accelerate exponentially. The aftertreatment itself at that 350 000 miles becomes liability, better to overhaul it so it is as new.
    I bought mine at 500 000 and the very 1st year I spent close to 20k then I did not have a single year that the maintenance would be less than 15k. That includes PMS and tires but still it shows that you always need to have 15 - 20k for the repairs and maintenance alone.

So you want to be an Independent owner operator. You do need a trailer unless you sign up for power only with another carrier such as JB Hunt and you can pull theirs. 1.50 - 1.80 per mile is what you can expect.
    Bigger problem to overcome would be insurance cost. Your idea may be nipped in the bud right there. Many factors depending, they may quote you as much as 20K - 30K per year. If you can get one for 15k that would be ok.
    Insurance needs to be paid regardless of whether you are active or decide to take time off.
    For starters, especially without trailer and prohibitive insurance cost, it may be better to go to carriers such as Landstar or Mercer, even Schneider where you can pick your own freight, it will give some semblance of being independent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Most Quite many people here will utter discouraging tones as they want their status to be unattainable to newcomers like you. They will tell you that you will spoil the rates for them because of your ignorance and lack of experience whereas many of them themselves did not start off from a better financial platform such as yours. I always say that becoming o/o is a natural stage of achievement in this profession and it should be a natural course of ambition. The money should be better too, if compared to a corresponding workload of an average company driver. Some will tell you that company drivers can make better earnings but it is not true in the wider span of time. Some individual years maybe, for instance, when you need to spend on overhaul or the rates are remarkably low.
    50k is enough to become owner operator in many different ways but I would not count on part time work to make as much as you make now as a company driver.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That’s a good explanation.

larry2903, TallJoe and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The fixed costs - mainly insurance, will keep you working pretty regularly under your own authority.

I know one guy pulling his own van that does well under his own numbers - but he’s a smart cookie. Works most days, rarely sleeps in the truck, above average revenue.

Two others that truck part time like I do are leased to Landstar and Mercer - specialized platform and standard flat, but own their own trailers - and trucks - outright.

It’s possible, most anything is - but you need a business plan and lots more research.

Good luck.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why?

The world isn't a nice place.

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Look man, first of all ain’t one of these “pie in the sky dudes“. I realize it ain’t easy. Nothing in life I’ve ever accomplished has come easy. My angle here is to educate myself. You have to start with that. My thoughts were rather than finance a truck, I’d pay cash and eliminate that monthly bill. Set aside enough each month to replace said truck in 2-3 years. I’m well aware of creating some hefty reserve accounts for unexpected repairs and maintaining etc. and I #### sure know I can drive. That part will be easy, I love to run and run as hard as they let me. So no issues there.

it’s the business side of this I need to better understand.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Who are they booking the load under? What good is it if they take new carriers for their “dispatch service” but end up booking you loads with brokers you could’ve worked with on your own?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know, you'll have to call and ask.

10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well, if YOU don’t know, then why are YOU recommending them?

Personally I always thought using a dispatch service was aiming low.

Big_D409, larry2903, Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    A dispatching service is just another hand in the pie and unnecessary added layer of potential frustration.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.