let's cook some chicken.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by TommyTrucker88, Jan 17, 2017.

1. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey supersnackbar, just curious when you have extras leftover what do u store the food in? Freezer bags, plastic dishes? I'm just trying to figure out the best option due to not having room as u would with a regular sized fridge at home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    I've no experience cooking in a truck. I do, however, have a ton of camp cooking experience. So my suggestions mostly work for decent weather.

Propane is my choice for cooking. Propane 2 burner stove and a single burner for those one pot deals. I buy the small cylinders and go through maybe 3 in a summer of camping about 30 days accumulated time. And that is sometimes using all three burners at the same time. Wouldn't do that often if it were just me eating.I'd never run one in a tent, so I'd never run one in a truck. I see others who posted they do though.

For leftovers, depends if you have a regular cooler (ice) or a plugin cooler (no ice). I've used both. No ice means plastic zip locks are fine. If you use ice than you want to use plastic seal-able containers to keep the water off your food.

Ed

4. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Don't forget to apply a light coat of DEF and season chicken for flavor enhancement.

5. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I was OTR, I used a Crock Pot. You can cook ###### near anything in those, and the small $15 one at Wallly World can be run on the low setting with a 300 watt inverter with no trouble at all. Chicken, rice, (it was real good at cooking rice!) even pasta dishes like spaghetti. The trick to cooking spaghetti in a crock pot, by the way, is heat up your sauce, then drop the dry noodles directly into the sauce, then stir the crap out of it for about 15 minutes.

Those 12 volt appliances in the truck stop...they're garbage. Especially anything that heats up. In about two weeks to a month, the wiring inside of those appliances becomes brittle and breaks. Useless after that.

6. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    Anyone every try dump some scrambled eggs inside set it on low and see how that comes out?
    Or make hard boiled eggs, how long that would take to make?
    It sounds like it takes a while to cook with the crockpot. How long would it take to cook a meal?
    Feels like I might need two crockpot. One for breakfast and another for dinner. Haha

7. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I nuked up a cheese omelet this morn. Easy peasy if u have a nuker

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Sorry for the delay...I buy the cheapest plastic containers Walmart sells to store my leftovers. Tupperware only cheaper. They reheat in a microwave and toss them when done. As for dishes, foam plates, and throw-away bowls. Plastic spoons and forks...the clear ones, not the white ones. The white ones break too easily.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I had a 3 egg omelet this a.m. I add a little milk to make them fluffy. My wife laughed when I told her I bought a $3 egg cooking bowl(that looks like any other plastic bowl). I could never get the eggs done right with a regular bowl for some reason, but this cooks it right...

10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I've been told that microwave specific cookware are designed to retain and distribute the heat differently than other cookware.

TequilaSunrise and carramrod32 Thank this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The problem that got me. Was packing extra water to wash the pans.And also the time consuming factor when you wanna go to bed instead of cooking dinner.

There are all kinds of cheap portable stoves at walmart.

I used the 12 stove. It's a little time consuming. And you need to keep an eye on things to turn em over so they cook on both sides. Otherwise one side gets burnt while the top side is still code. I had my stove next to the seat cooking while i was driving.

I also had that water heater thingy. For them ready made soup cups you just pour water in to.

Both items were hard on the electrical though. Eventually i had no amperage to even charge my cell phone. Had power, just didn't have the amps. Happened in a 12 and 16 FL. And the dealer never did find the problem to make the sockets work again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.