Lexington, VA Fatal Hit & Run Accident at TA I-81 /E195

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by frizzbees, Oct 27, 2018.

1. frizzbees

frizzbees Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Can you ever hit a man and not know you did it? Here's the story:

ROCKBRIDGE CO., Va. (WDBJ7) -- State Police are investigating a crash where a pedestrian was struck and killed on private property in Rockbridge County.

Police say the crash occurred Friday, Oct. 26 at 9:20 p.m. at the TA Truck Center -- Lee Hi Truck Stop located on Route 11 in Rockbridge County.

A pedestrian was walking around a parked vehicle in the parking lot and stepped into the path of an oncoming tractor-trailer leaving the parking lot.

The pedestrian, Keith Alan Kinder, 59, of Richlands, Va. died at the scene.

After reviewing the video footage of the incident, troopers were able to identify the suspect vehicle and the trucking company.

Troopers say they made contact with the company and were able to send a “BOLO” (Be on the Look-out) for the suspect vehicle and possible driver.

A truck matching the description was located in High Point, NC. Investigators with the Virginia State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation (Salem) are working with authorities in North Carolina to determine if the truck and driver were involved in the “Hit and Run” crash.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Yes,
    It is so easy to hit a person and never know it. Plus people are real squishy.
    But
    It should be very difficult to get hit by a vehicle, especially something as big as a semi.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Unless the pedestrian is playing on their cell phone.

Lepton1 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Man, pull over, no big deal......just an accident. Leave the scene, free room and board for about 10-20 years. Stupid is as stupid does.

bryan21384, Woodys, Lepton1 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It’s possible the trucker was in a turn and the pedestrian stepped into the rear of the trailer not accounting enough for trailer off-track. And it was dark. Pedestrian could have been drunk, too. I’m not going to be too critical at this point without more of an accurate idea of what happened and in what context. Most parking lots have unseen holes and divots so that we become accustomed to minor "bumps"

Was this another truck driver who was run over?

Was it in the back truck lot or up towards the road and main business area?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Lepton1 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    If the pedestrian bounced off the truck, you wouldnt know it. Especially if the truc was turning to the right and the drivers attention was to the right. It can happen. And as mentioned, if the pedestrian were drunk or not paying attention on a phone. Be real easy for none to know what happened. Feels sorry for the driver to not be aware of what happened.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It usually is very difficult.

I actually had almost lost my own life in the Ft Collins Meat Plant CO one evening. I climb out of truck at gaurd area for deposition of trailer after dropping it. Now I had run a little beyond my limits to be there to get it loading because it will be two to three days before it's finished. I made it to the wash bay on foot and not doing well. Between dock and my own trailer coming fast. I had just enough visual in that moment to essentially get out of there.

Awake now. Would have been eternity for sure.

Yes normally it's difficult to miss a semi that big. But when you are operating beyond being awake and alert eyes up, something does happen now and then. You might never see it coming.

Bud A. and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Shifting gears j

Shifting gears j Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Doint feel sorry four that coward he hit my father then ran he had to know he hit my father I drive a truck to I will see the coward one day n court I am sueing him n company four everything they got

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Condolences to you and your family @Shifting gears j.

I for one would like to see the security camera footage before passing judgement either way. Every years truckers die in truck stop parking lots. Walking through the parking lot or through the fuel islands presents a very hazardous situation. You MUST be aware of your surroundings, both as pedestrian and when you are behind the wheel. Check, check again, then triple check.

Edited to add: ...and SLOW THE #### DOWN!!! It never ceases to amaze me watching "professional" drivers running through a truck stop in high range. The truck stop IS NOT your place to be trying to save time!

Bud A. and nikmirbre Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.