Linehaul Tools

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jayfromthenw, Jun 20, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i only carry my shipping papers, and my cb radio, and a rain jacket. . as far as any tools, i carry none. any job i have ever had, we drivers were forbidden to make any repairs, since most times, we go from terminal to terminal.

my current employer forbids us to make any repairs as well, and wants us to call Penske.

i might carry a light bulb or two, but with LED tail lights, and expensive headlight bulbs, Penske gives us ONE replacement, and we have to turn that in.

NEVER leave your stuff in a linehaul truck, take it out with you. if you do an over-nighter at the terminal's location, trust me, a daytime driver can take it, if they run short on operable trucks. then you may NEVER see your truck ever again.

road_runner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've worked for companies like that. None of them ever complained, though, when I patched a truck up to bring it back or to limp it to a safer place to sit & wait for someone to come make a "proper" repair. The only time they really get bent out of shape is if you cause more damage "fixing" it than what it would've cost to have a road service guy come to you.

Most companies have that policy in place because of the quality of a good number of "drivers" these days. Funny thing is, though, those same companies that don't want drivers wrenching on the trucks will hire people off the street to be "mechanics" who have never turned a wrench...and when told to "bring your tools" they show up to work with a 130 piece "mechanics" tool set from Walmart...complete with 1/4" and 3/8" drive sockets and wrenches up to 3/4" and MAYBE a couple screw drivers (if you're lucky).

4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Aaaaand.... no hammer. Lol!

5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    the ashtray is stocked with gladhand seals. i carry a knife by default and put a couple rolls of tape on the shifter. that’s about it. a good pretrip goes a long way.

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, i forgot those. i'd get a few from nearly each terminal, and keep'em in the door pocket. way too many times, finding an empty trailer that had the seals was like finding a pot o' gold. (never happens every trip....)

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    The more you put in your truck, the more you have to drag out of it.

I occasionally laid over in SLC and their policy is to leave your truck for their P&D drivers and take a cab to the hotel. Anything you left in the truck was fair game. If you needed it, don't leave it in there.

buddyd157 and Lav-25 Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yup, and one company i worked for, sometimes while i'd be on my break, another linehaul driver would be told to take it, if he had problems with his truck. then i'd have the joy, joy, joy of getting into an always dirty, smelly truck to get back home.

glad i left that place.

road_runner Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On

Company should have glad hand seals, spare head light bulbs and any other items THEY deem necessary stored in each trucks glove box

10. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Flashlight, rubbers(gland hand gaskets), pretrip gloves,zips ties in case there’s no landing gear handle cradle, paper clip if there’s a loose light cord connection at the socket. I don’t have a shop at my barn so if it’s anything I can’t do a 5 min fix I’ll have them call a vendor or punch in and wait for the dock to swing the freight into a different trailer.

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And chances are that idiot couldn’t be bothered to check the registration to see if your truck is even tagged heavy enough to run where he’s going.

Not surprising because entirely too many so-called truck drivers probably couldn’t even spell “registration”. :rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.