Living with gout. Who has it?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ethos, Apr 7, 2016.

1. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Cherries will clear it up. Mom had it in both feet and the meds were not working. I'm big on holistic medicine if you can, so I read up and she quit taking the meds and ate fresh cherries everyday and it cleared it right up. I don't know what is in the cherries that does it, but I can tell you, it worked for mom.

ethos Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hi @ethos ! I owe U a apology, last evening when U were trying to help out that gal that was hell bent on signing on with Trans Am it was suggested to her to check out Abilene. When John Boy offered her advice I suggested that would be great advice to follow because of JB's experience. This wasn't meant as a slight to U and was bugging me and I wanted to clear it up. Hope U feel better, get some cherries

ethos Thanks this.
  4. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    I avoid spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, sea foods except shrimp and salmon, beer. For pain at night, an ice bag helps. I used to eat a small serving of canned spinach every day, but switched to collard greens.

5. BiloxiJim

BiloxiJim Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Used to work with a guy that said cherry juice worked for him. He'd have a sip every morning.

ethos Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I'm the guy cowtipper mentioned. I have had it in both knees (not at the same time thankfully), my right wrist my right ankle and both my index fingers. Although I haven't had an attack for about 4 years. The quack I saw had me on about every med out there (two types, one type reduces the amount of uric acid your body produces naturally, the other type helps your body filter the acid out better.) I couldn't take any meds from either type, they made me very ill and sweat "like a ##### in church" as dad use to say. I told the doctor I would beat this with diet, to which he laughed. I stopped eating many of the trigger foods (many I didn't like anyway, beer, sea food, cauliflower, oatmeal, organ meat) Food is only the trigger, it is actually a hereditary condition, and it's how your body reacts to certain foods that causes it. It is considered a form of arthritis. Cherry extract is one of the strongest natural ways to reduce the number of attacks as well as the reducing the severity of the one's you do get. A friend who gets it in his knees so bad they swell as big as cantaloupe says cherry kinda helps, but fresh raspberries get it over with quicker for him. I also started drinking a lot of water (a gallon a day) but I had to cut back a bit. Being an OTR driver, I didn't get many miles when I had to stop and pee on about every tree I passed.

Another thing that I used was 800 mg ibuprofen, but the doctor refused to prescribe them after I told him that he was wasting my insurance money with the other meds that made me sick. His advise was not to drive for a while after taking his drugs, but as a driver, that really wasn't possible since you were suppose to take them around the same time every day, and how often does an OTR driver have a consistent enough schedule to wait for the nausea to go away before driving, every day. So now I just keep the OTC ibuprofen on hand, and when I start getting the feeling I am gonna' get an attack(It starts out I wake up freezing, and pouring sweat and my thighs/knees are red hot), I just take 3 or 4 every 6 hours. And it knocks down the inflammation before it gets to the painful stage. But the OP is correct, it is the worst pain I have ever felt.

Some people have had success eating a more alkaline based diet, but that isn't always that good for the body.

HoundDog7 and ethos Thank this.
  7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    First off, good God to have gout in that many places...well I'm changing my name to Lucky! Second, how many cherries do I need to eat? You said you still get them, so what was the frequency before you started the cherries.

HoundDog7 Thanks this.
  8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    What concerns me is that I don't have a bad diet and I had eaten nothing out of the ordinary to cause this attack. I also drink enormous amounts of water. Perhaps that is what keeps them at bay the most part.

9. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
  10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have limited the use of cherries. I just know many have used them and had relief. I have found that changing my diet, drinking water, and occasional ibuprofen has kept my attacks at bay.

I forgot to mention, some of my worst attacks came during extremely stressful events...right before major dental surgery, my daughters wedding, etc. I think that has something to do with it. Most of my older siblings have it in their big toe, they call it their 'hammer toe'. I think I am the only one that has it elsewhere.

11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Thanks. I have been lurking, but decided that I most likely wouldn't get anybody upset with posting my opinion and experiences on a topic like this. Hope it helps, I take my hat off (so to speak) to anyone who tries to do this job with this ailment.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.