Living with gout. Who has it?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ethos, Apr 7, 2016.

1. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Also saw U over with Ur coworkers. Did I catch a hint regarding the future or was I over thinking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jerome5alive

Jerome5alive Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Have you tried 2000mgs of ginger capsules? I'm a former artillery man from the army, 10 years of pain.....

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It was a subtle hint, but either they didn't catch it or they don't care (or don't want to get me started ranting again). Either way, the end is very near for me over there

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  5. Liftdsnger

Liftdsnger Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2018
    I have had gout since I was 15, I am currently 42. For the most part the last year or so I have been relatively gout free. At about 29 or so I was diagnosed and went through Allopurinol to Uloric. Only 80 mg of Uloric really helped. Big attacks were fought off by colchicine, indomethacin, and/or Prednisone. I have had gout fluid drained from my knees, 55 and 60 cc before. I have had attacks that made me black out in pain. The worst “attack“ that I’ve ever had basically lasted about five years. Every single day I felt joint pain which usually stayed around two or three but at times made it up to nine or 10.

I mention all of that so you know my full meaning when I say the last year I have been mostly gout free. There are two major tricks that I found to completely avoiding gout attacks all together.

First and foremost as ugly as they are, wear flip-flops when driving and going about your day. Shoes, especially when even slightly tight slow down your circulation enough for the uric acid to begin to crystallize which usually happens in the bottle neck of the capillaries. It is legal to drive with flip-flops as they are recognized as shoes, despite being ugly. The effects of flip-flops were apparent after a couple of weeks.

The second thing that I do which may not be for everyone is I’ve recently adopted the eating habits of one meal a day, OMAD. It requires all of your eating to be done within a one hour window. It is because I am working to lose weight and it works very effectively because you spend roughly 17 hours a day in ketosis. The unexpected benefits of ketosis is that it helps to clean out your blood and your body of all the toxic #### we eat, no matter what you take in during your hour. I have eaten as much as over 2800 cal in a single meal and still lost weight. There has been a lot of research which is available online. It’s not for everyone.

I have not taken any gout medication in a few years and while actively on this diet even up to a couple of months after the diet, my attacks were so small if they even were there, two ibuprofen completely wiped them out. Most people don’t think of it this way but gout is actually a food allergy. I also want to let you know that on this diet, I can eat whatever the hell I want. Anchovies, liver, raw beef, anything that used to cause gout on the diet after a few weeks, did nothing to me. Remember though, if you do go on this diet, 0 cal in the 23 hours you are not eating and be sure to drink water to keep your system hydrated. Even one single calorie outside of the window will screw up that day. I myself steer clear of artificial sweeteners and drink 100% water outside my window.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    HoundDog7, ethos and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.