Load is not ready please come back tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mitmaks, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Hell Zvar, you have owners leasing onto carriers without any contract, just a hand shake and then they wonder why they got screwed.

gekko1323 and ZVar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    $240/night $37.70 an hour 8-5, they’ll pay

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    If your in a dead area with many, many, guys sitting around looking for loads. Then your probably right. If your in a good area where they have to scramble to find trucks, then your wrong. If you haul specialized freight, and need special equipment. Then you would 100% incorrect. Every situation, every load, every customer or broker is different.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I might be back in three weeks...

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    This is all well and good and I agree with it. However, how do you make them pay? The broker says "take the $150 or nothing", what's next? I had the one broker pay me the $700, but more often than not they're not willing to play ball. I ask this question again, how many have put down their detention and TONU terms in a contract that the broker signs before booking the load. And how many brokers will actually sign it?

Personally my strategy has been to bail after 2 hrs of waiting to be loaded, especially in a good area.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

If you wait til the situation has come to pass: you're already too late and the ball is in their court.
    These* are negotiation skills that you need to master. All of this needs to be spelled out in advance. You cannot wait until the situation occurs before you discuss what will happen, whether it be detention, truck order not used, the rate, the schedule, accessorial's and extras.

If you send an addendum back to a broker expecting them to sign it and return it- you're holding your breath.
    Everything needs to be spelled out in the original rate confirmation.

If someone texts me wanting to book a load, I ask all the pertinent details that they always seem to leave out; then I spell out the pricing, both what the straight rate is, detention, truck order not used, Tarping, chains, drop trailers and what have you.
    If we come to an agreement, the rate con spells out everything I said or I'm not signing it.

You've got to be proactive to be in business. Only a fool buys a Truck then asks "how do I make money?"

Same as someone signing a contract that says "you'll get paid something, maybe, at some point".

** Sometimes that voice to text works like hooked on phonics. **

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Perhaps it would be better for you to just back away from the keyboard.

mpd240 Thanks this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    It seems that people forget this is a business. The goal is to make money, now and in the future. Part of that is relationships with the companies you do provide service for. They know full well this is not free. They also know if they want to keep the quality of service from the companies they hire, they need to make things equitable for all parties. Good companies will do just that.

As mentioned before, this information is part of the carrier packet and on the rate cons.

Fortunatly I have very rarley had to invoke any of these. In most cases, I am offered an acceptible solution before it gets that far.

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    How else can I ask you a legitimate question and where else if not on this forum?
    The concrete question was what's so special about you that they pay this:
    "
    Charges for
    Load cancel during travel to shipper, $250.00
    TONU or Cancel, early enough to get a new load, $450.00
    TONU or cancel, to late to load, $550.00
    Wait or Detention (first 90 min NC) @ $125.00 per hr, for the first 6 hours.
    After 6 hours, $ 850.00, up to 18 hours. Then load is canceled and we move on.

"

Nobody I know around me is getting paid that fair. So if you do, it would be better if you explain how it is done instead of letting your ego get disturbed.
    Do you have a fleet of 20 specialized trailers, are you the only company in the area, you know your customers for a long time and have such a great relationships with them to dictate these terms?
    How about you back away from the keyboard because all you said so far was nothing but platitudes. Things such as "this is a business stuff", "goal is to make money" "good relationships with companies" everyone knows about.
    But OK..I am backing away now only because I need a deserved drink. I made good money today.

lynchy, Mattflat362 and Ruthless Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You simply add that to the carrier packet the broker sends over and if they don't agree you don't do business with that broker. It's really as simple as that.

1951 ford and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.