Load locks for beer loads

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Jul 28, 2021.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    put strap in next hole and ride. that beer isnt going any where

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Load locks against freight straps as close to the freight as possible.
    But load locks first then ratchet the strap real tight.
    Would take an act of congress to move that load lock then.

4. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    I do what I can,then take a pic.

Final Drive and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Been hauling beer for years, and the only parts of load that ever fall are kegs when stacked. If they used air bags and we're talking cans or bottles, it's not going to move with or without load locks.

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    say it again brother

Malt Ball Cult Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I delivered too many beer loads when I did all this dudes local stuff. Line drivers would drop in yard, then I'd do the delivery.

The most pulverized loads ever were beer loads.

But that is 100% do to moron at the controls.

One dude slammed on the brakes so hard, he smashed the standoffs in the front of the trailer, and pulverized several pallets and then some.

What a mess.

Silver medalist did kind of the same thing, only to the rear of the load, not even sure how. This guy ended up killing two people in a rear ender on 17 less than a year later.

SO

If you drive like a normal dude you'll have no problem.

I've done half a dozen Miller loads since at Landstar, they're no hassle. Get unloaded fast.

Budweiser if you like pain.

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I haul beer in reefers all the time. In fact, the places we go to never use air bags. I use 2 load locks depending on how its loaded. The bar fell off on your load because either you didn't stretch it out far enough or the walls to your dry van have been pushed out some. Now this is worth mentioning: those air bags will hold that load in place, as will load locks and straps, but if if drive too fast or like a maniac, all of that will rendered useless. A veteran trucker told me when I first started to drive the load not the truck, and you won't have any issues.

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Reefer walls don't flex or belly out like dry van walls.

bryan21384 and RubyEagle Thank this.
  10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    The one time I used one, it was a load of gun safes loaded all the way to the back. Wouldn't have been able to use a load strap to squeeze the sides of the trailer in. I didn't know the hammer the load lock in trick then. The only reason I used one was because one of our drivers told me he opened the doors on one of those loads and a safe almost fell on top of him.

Anyways, I used two load locks and a load strap to pull in the sides on this Miller load and it seemed pretty secure. I'll just have to take load locks from now on which sucks because my truck doesn't have a load lock rack on the back of the cab.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    What I was told early in my career, drive the load like there is no securement on it at all.

ours do to a point, but nothing like a plate trailer does. Pulled a load out of Kenosha going down to Phoenix...no drivers allowed on the dock, you back in with doors shut, and 2 load locks inside. They open it up from inside, load you, loadlock the load, shut the doors and seal it. When I got to Phoenix, both load locks were on the floor, but everything was still up in good shape. Guess the shipper never learned to angle the load lock before latching it and forcing it back straight for added tension.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.