Local Runs - Chicago Surrounding Area

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by RogerThat1976, Feb 8, 2024.

1. RogerThat1976

RogerThat1976 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2024
    Hi! I’m new to this board. Have had my CDL for five years. Night driving is hard for me. Trying to find a local gig first or second shift and it is impossible right now. Anyone have any leads? I’m hard working, just can do overnights. Am open to every other day home but day driving preferred.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Welcome aboard. Can't go wrong with intermodal in the Windy. Much is regional, but I knew guys that just did crosstown moves, and made a killing, if you can handle traffic, that is. Either it's run at night or deal with traffic in the day. If you can't do nights, that limits things considerably. Most times, for me, it was pickup a wagon at 2am to deliver somewhere when they open. Fact is, just about all my trucking was that schedule. It's why I'm up at this hour, even retired.

RogerThat1976 Thanks this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I would think most roofing supply and lumber companies work mainly daylight hours...

ABC Supply has lots of locations in the Chicago area, might look them up....

5. RogerThat1976

RogerThat1976 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2024
    I do not have intermodal experience but willing to learn. Any idea on how to get training for intermodal? Every job I see requires experience. I’m eager to learn if given the chance.

201 Thanks this.
  6. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Just apply even if it says experience required. You already know how to drive everything else is just learning how the company wants you to do things.

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Jb hunt / Schneider will train u. Pretty easy once u get used to the rail yard.

ABC supply u drive around in a flatbed and usually lifting Roofing shingles. Home depot is run thru cardinal or now ryder since they got bought out, same thing but with a Moffett and sometimes carrying flooring into houses.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Not much to learn, really. You bobtail to a rail yard, find your container, usually already mounted on a chassis, and have at it. Generally, the loads are heavy, and with limited places to scale, it can be frustrating.That's just one avenue, but intermodal about as basic as it gets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.