Logging off duty when in sleeper. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Aditransport, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Just scored a clean roadside inspection at the Echo UT POE. Level 3 just looking at the usual stuff, BOL, DL, TT registration, insurance and IFTA.

When it came to the paper logs they were looking at each hour. The biggest thing they seemed concerned with was the 30 minute break. Never gonna catch me on that lol. They were really impressed with the 'honesty' of my logs, (they kept saying 'honesty' over and over). LIke last night I went to the sleeper at 1915 and got out to off duty at 0300 for 45 minutes then logged back into sleeper.

The guy was telling me he's seen drivers try to show 34 straight hours in the sleeper or do their entire 10 hour break in the sleeper. He says just try to make it look legit. For 10 hour break, show off duty for 1 hour then 8 hours sleeper then 1 hour off duty before starting new shift which is basically what I did on mine.

Anyway, picking up a quick easy $200 for the clean inspection yay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    "Try to... do their entire 10 hour break in the sleeper."
    - not a problem; done it many times... legitimately. Without pissing in a bottle.

"He says just try to make it look legit."
    - and there we have it; they don't really care about the facts, truth, or "honesty," so long as it looks good.

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I honestly did get up at 0300 even though it was 9 degrees out. Abby and I walked around for 45 minutes in that snow and ice. Spent so much time because we found 2 homeless kitties to chase around trash bins and up into trees and stuff lol. Plus I knew she had to poop and that dang dog is too picky and has to find just the perfect begonia to squat over the top of.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yeah, should have added I wasn't criticizing the way you logged, just the reality that in a lot of ways the whole exercise is a "game."

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    and there ya have it.

7. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    amzing , so you don't have to do it exactly like you do it, just make it look legit. it matters not what actually happened as long as it looks legit.

it exactly proves what most have been saying in this thread.

8. Johan

Johan Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ...And we continue to get the industry we deserve. Ho hum.

9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Yes meant "going" sometimes I type faster than I'm thinking

10. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

theres really nothing wrong with the industry, its like everything else in life, it has its good and bad, but the difference between logging 10 hours off duty, 10 hours in the sleeper , or whatever combination thereof, has no effect on the industry whatsoever.

I sometimes wonder what some folks expect from the industry??? I only expect an opportunity, I got that. and what I makeof it , is entirely up to me. I worked for 10 years as a company driver, then bought a 1200 dollar truck, I have managed in that time to raise 5 kids, pay for 90 acres a land, a house, send kids to college, see them have grandchildren, and enjoy my life. for me its actually has been and continues to be an excellent industry. only log book ticket was in 1986 at the banning scales , added up my time wrong on the sleeper berth no less( hence my 8 and now 10 off duty). 2 speeding tickets and 1 accident back in 1985( not my fault). not bad since 1979. and all that with being a menace by logging off duty.

i just wonder why minor problems such as this thread are such industry problems for some.

perhaps in your case johans, you may resent ending up where you have ended up, you used to fly for a living, apparent that didn't work out, you were a tech genius that didn't work out, you know every website that has ever existed , you drove for a while, now you sys admin for a carrier. this probably isn't where you wanted to end up and you might, just maybe , think this industry is a bit beneath you.

or are just trying to enlighten us with your omnipotent knowledge??

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    062 and icsheeple Thank this.
  11. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    Pretty sure logging off duty vs sleeper is pretty irrelevant when it comes to this statement.

skateboardman and ethos Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.