Looking into LTL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by cdavis188, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I remember when Yellow got ps. a/c too? Wow! Spoiled Spoiled Spoiled. Lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Central Transport in 1994-95 as a casual. Short term thing. Wouldn’t want to spend a lifetime working that job. Good money at a time I really needed it.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Thanks for all the advice. Decided to go back OTR in the meantime as it just works better for me vs regional. Still looking heavily into LTL and more local work. I’ve even looked at jobs with KDOT and the county but I would have to take a pretty substantial pay cut

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That might mean a pay cut, but benefits should be far better.

6. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    That’s sort of like the small trucking outfit I park at. I almost laughed when I heard their pay package. Like low 40’s cpm? 62 mph trucks?

However they have great medical benefits, at least in terms of other trucking companies. Company paid BCBS (I believe) with $1500 deductible. And other details I’m probably forgetting. Not sure if that’s good in general, but that’s far and away better healthcare benefits than any of the companies I’ve driven for have ever offered

7. Nickanator1988

Nickanator1988 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2022
    Hey im in the process of getting hired at OD for a team driving position in conley, ga. Waiting for background check to clear. Already did my drug screen. Also Waiting for physical and road test appointment.

At your terminal do you drive a manual transmission? I guess Atlanta hub is only 20% automatic so huge chance ill be driving a manual.

I haven't driven manual transmission since i got my cdl over 5yrs ago. But they said dont worry if im just they will give me a refresher course 2-4wks so i thought that was amazing of them to invest into training me. All i know is once i get hired i will retire here as long as im a truck driver.

This seems like a very great company and terminal managers seem very laid back. Terminal manager told me my first year at entry level pay ill easily make 125-130k and that not even running hard at all. He said i can make way more depending how hard i want to run that is. I told him i can only run as hard as my teammate will allow he said thats a good point.

He said there is a lot of money to be made in teaming. I know most people dont want to leave OD once they get hired for good reason.

Also ive been team driving my whole career with my wife she doesn't want to drive anymore she wants to go into real estate. I have drove with other co drivers my first year in trucking had no issues so im fully aware of what im getting into when it comes to teaming.

catdog45 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.