Looking to get out of Foodservice

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by eightballwoody, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Heres the map of dayton freight. 20190810_134243.jpg

slim shady Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    How bad would be getting a job with like ups doing ltl ? IV heard they don't even consider outsiders with a CDL

Texas_hwy_287 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    You could get a job at ups freight but I wouldn't recommend it, that place is a joke. Ups parcel is where I retired from and yes it's a long tough road to get in driving a feeder there with no CDL. You could look at old Dominion, XPO, Southeastern, R&L and a few others do a dock to driver program where they get you your CDL or look at beverage and food companies (more money most of the time) because a lot of them will put you in the warehouse while they train you for a CDL. Coke, Pepsi, McLane, Budweiser, Coors, US foods, Sysco etc.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Topeka and Wichita, too now I think (or sometime soon maybe).

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yeah, OT after 40 at DFL.

Texas_hwy_287 and slim shady Thank this.
  7. asphaltreptile311

Jun 16, 2016
    ABF is near me I'll look into them the benefits are pretty #### good

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I was in the same local as a ABF barn for 20 years. Those dudes can make some bank

9. asphaltreptile311

Jun 16, 2016
    I hope it's not super tough to get in IV got a totaly clean record all otr

Texas_hwy_287 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Foodservice isn’t very competitive, but you have to pass an interview in which they are looking to make sure you understand the physical aspect of the job and that you are clean cut and polite (since the job is usually customer facing).

All of the major companies should have terminals there. FedEx Freight also has terminals 40-90 miles away in every direction.

FlaSwampRat and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  11. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    In Houston there are multiple areas in trucking for a driver to be home everyday.

1.) GAS hauler for Loves, Pilot/Flying J, or RB Steward (Buckees rest stops). I Recommend the private haulers as the typically pay better and have better benefits that the 3rd party carriers.

2.) CHEMICAL DISTRIBUTION for Univar, Brenntag, Nalco Water, Suez, Dist Tech. And a few others. These are companies that pay by the hr. And are day shift work as the refineries they deliver to only accept deliveries at daylight hours.

3.)LTL just about everyone is hiring for Local P&D in Houston (Except UPSF). But I would stay away from the ones that dont pay OT. I'm hearing that Saia and FXF will fire a driver for alot of things. Because of the camera. Therefore they are always hiring.

4.) LPG TRANSPORT Arrows Up, Loves, and Targa are the better paying companies in this field. As LPG rates went down in 2015 and never really came back up. And also smaller companies are under bidding each other to get loads. Targa and Arrows up pay by the Hr. But Loves aka Gemini Motor Transport pays by the load. But has a $300 minimum pay per day. (However the regional manager is quite the pile of CRAP!!!)

5.) CRYOGENIC COMPANIES Air Liquide/Airgas pays 24.64 p/hr for day shift and 25.64 for nights and OT after 40hrs. But all of the 4 major private companies are hiring (Air Products, Messer Gas, AIRGAS, LINDE/Praxair). But I suggest staying away from Linde/Praxair or Messer Gas in Houston. They can't keep most of there drivers because of horrible management and etc.

I hope this helps you out. H-Town is a mega local trucking market. But you will have to find the right place that fits you. Just because XYZ Transport is hiring and %65 of the drivers like it. Doesn't mean it will work for you.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.