LTL companies that offer mostly day/evening driving on linehaul?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Oct 28, 2021.

1. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    You have to ask the company you apply to. I do night line haul however there are day shift linehaul,,but you have to deal with day time traffic:mad:,,,and severe increase in idiots on the road
    The east shift I could take would also mean sun in my face both ways,,,that would be tiring

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Ok so if you stop using the word “LTL” and interchange “linehaul” with things like “shuttle” and “dedicated route,” that opens up more possibilities. Because what you are describing is not what any LTL company is doing on a regular basis. Maybe @Chinatown has some ideas?

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    He asked about daytime line haul
    And its offered there. Some of those fedex contractors pay very well
    With full benefits.
    I'd never do it I like tanking too much

5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Maybe some postal contractors would be a place to start? In the past I’ve seen First Fleet post jobs for some very specific multi-day routes. 10 Roads might also have routes like that.

6. LPjunior1970

LPjunior1970 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2019
    There’s several FedEx contractors locally hiring for day runs but they pay .25-.30 less per mile than we’re all making running nights.
    No thanks!

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Some terminals have runs the senior guys won’t take because they have a reputation for never lasting or the city dispatchers convince them of it, and they don’t want to wind up stuck working night shift.

8. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    The P&D guys (pick up and delivery) work day time. But you would be doing more than just drop and hook and drive. There's always some trade off.

Bob Dobalina and ColoradoLinehaul Thank this.
  9. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    I used to have the same fear, but it’s different when you actually start doing it.

If you train yourself to go to bed, get a mzoo sleep mask and take about 1.5 - 3 mg of melatonin and advil pm (30 mins prior to bed time), and to bed and get 8 hrs sleep you will be fine.

If you get tired, pull over on a ramp and grab a 10 minute or 15 minute power nap. I keep a mzoo sleep mask in my backpack. Comes in very handy. I probably take a 10-15 minute power nap at least twice a week. I put on my sleep mask, make it warm and slightly stuffy in the cab and set the timer with an alarm on my phone. Works every time.

Your “fear” of night driving is actually worse than night driving itself. There is definitely an adjustment period, but it gets easier. Don’t sell yourself short because you are afraid.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It’s worth a try, but it isn’t for everybody. Some guys just can’t adjust to that, especially if he’s married with a family. I couldn’t.

11. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Based on my research here are your options for day shift home nightly trucking jobs.

Food delivery - Sysco etc
    Beverage delivery - Your local Coca-Cola or beer distributor.
    LTL P&D - Plenty of options. Some hire with no experience.
    Intermodal - Schneider has a 5am-5pm home nightly job near me. No experience needed.
    Package delivery - UPS/FedEx/Amazon always seems to be hiring if you want to do that. Non-CDL job.
    Fuel hauling? - I hear this is good money home nightly. Need tanker experience.

Everything else seems to be night work or OTR at least 5 days per week. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have weighed my options and decided to try night shift line haul for a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.