LTL Hours and Company Expectations

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Driver5666, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Driver5666

Driver5666 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2024
    Hi everyone,

I am looking at applying for a local job at the LTL companies after I get my hazmat endorsement. I don't have any experience or knowledge in this field so any company information would be much appreciated. This is what I know so far:

Central Transportation - avoid, seems to have the reputation of the "Western Express of LTL"
    SAIA- Has driver facing cameras which reportedly watch you like a hawk, not just for event recordings.
    R&L- one of my CDL school classmates got a job with them and said they were pretty good, overall reviews seem more positive than negative
    ABF- don't know much, but they aren't hiring in my area at the moment
    Old Dominion - good rated company, driver I talked to was professional and seemed to like his job
    Dayton - probably my first choice, pays well and is non union which seems to have more employee satisfaction as a result
    Midwest Motor Express - Don't know much, good or bad
    XPO, Estes- no terminals in my area so not really on my radar

Does anyone know which companies have a better overall reputation? Also, for hours, do they work you odd times or is it pretty consistent start/finish time? I don't mind starting early but would prefer to not drive overnight (afternoon start time) as I'm more of an early bird.

Luccc and viper822004 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    I can tell you to stay away from central, I worked their for two weeks, and it was the worst company I have ever seen. Old Dominion and Dayton would be my choices for ltl. Have never talked to anyone from Midwest but I get.passed by them nightly, the trucks are fast as hell, I'm usually between 65-70 and they pass me pretty easy.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I left Dayton over 10 years ago, after nearly 14 years. Was ‘line haul’ the entire time, which means nights. Decent company overall, has issues but all companies do. Pay, at the time was above average, but now I understand nearly all LTL companies are just a few coins from each other in pay. My advice is go with a company that is closest to your home, I was 53 miles from the yard, at times that was the toughest 53 miles I drove that nite.

88 Alpha, road_runner and Jamie01 Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    ABF first choice. Dayton, Old Dominion tied for 2nd place. My decision would rely first on pay and overtime availability. I want time and half after 40, 8 if possible. ABF May be the only OT after 8, also probably guarantee 4 hrs pay, if things are slow. I personally would sacrifice a bit at first for a job at ABF. Longterm in mind. Next criteria is how much handling of freight. Rather avoid lift gate work. Tailgating with a jack can be expected. I also would rather not do Dock work if possible. Everyone’s different. I prefer going for the largest paycheck. When I was younger, I’d do whatever it took. Now I have to consider wear and tear and my ability to do hard manual labor. Since that’s what wore me out at an early age. I suggest avoiding if possible. Hustling all day can be an enjoyable challenge. Makes the day go by fast. But it gets old. Ask questions of every employer. Talk to their Drivers. Find the best fit. Good Luck.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Old Dominion from personal experience, 7 years.
    ABF a close second.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Look at how the company operates too as far as things like bids, truck assignments, and that terminal’s service area. The money is nice, but not if you’re completely miserable. No paycheck will offset that.

8. Some_girls_can_backup

Some_girls_can_backup Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2024
    I just finished school and dont know much yet so let me know if I'm wrong guys but I was told dont get hazmat unless you have a job lined up that requires it because...
    It expires before your CDL does and if you don't renew and let it expire it will void your license untill you get it again or cance it/have it removed..just a hassle unless needed.
    Often times company will pay for it or give compensation if it's required.

viper822004 Thanks this.
  9. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Letting your HM expire does not void your license. Who told you that?

road_runner Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It downgrades it if you don't renew it before it expires is what she's talking about. Had it happen in Tennessee a few years ago because I missed the notice the state mailed me. I drove around for 8 months on a downgraded license and never got caught lol. Wasn't a big deal to get it reinstated. And that's no reason to not get HM endorsement. Getting the background check done and retaking the HM endorsement test is not a big deal. It's always better to have ALL endorsements. Makes a driver more marketable to different companies and most of the best paying ones all require HM anyway.

DogRiver Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A hazmat endorsement expires before your license? o_O

That’s a new one on me.

DogRiver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.