LTL in Pictures

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Usually have a couple of things going on that can cause this. First off, the landing gear is set back further than it is on most pups. Usually pups that have the landing gears set this far back, also have a drop down stabilizer bar mounted on the front of the trailer. But these need to be set correctly after you've dropped the trailer. Sometimes guys forget, or just too lazy to set them. Sometimes they are damaged or missing altogether.

It can be a wild ride for the poor fork lift driver that is loading/unloading a trailer like this, and gets far enough forward to counter balance the trailer and pick up the back like that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Yea but setting the landing gear back further also helps with the twin screws pulling sets. Even our trailers with the set up further I have seen trailers fall over like that. This week i went to one terminal, and I saw a trailer tip over right in front of me when I pulled in, it was being loaded. New kid (maybe younger than me) first few weeks on the job put too heavy of a skid up front, two guys went out with the fork-lifts and picked it back up. The guy was shooken up and ended up going home. When I returned the next day he was back to work, one of the other guys said he didnt get in trouble, plus the landing gear was shot. All they said was be more careful...

My previous job they probly fire you...

darthanubis, Rocks, MACK E-6 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    The drum picker attachment, I love this thing.

[​IMG]

5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    As BigDon said, some models have those nose pins on them that prevent the trailer from tipping over. We will get our arses chewed if we dock a trailer that has one and we forget to drop it. Also, some areas have trailer tripods that go under the nose between the trailer apron and fifth wheel which also will keep the trailer from tipping over if the nose is overloaded. I agree though... my terminal would also probably fire you if you tipped a trailer.

6. Cab Lizzard

Cab Lizzard Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    MIA
    Someone find a picture of a spoon ....
    Hint: we used them in place of forklift kids

Tip a trailer not a problem with a contract.

mje Thanks this.
  7. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    A friend of mine got fired for not pulling down the nose pin,and installing pin..
    Ive got a lot of pics from my daily deliveries of poorly loaded trailers I can
    put up.Im not knowledgable on the ltl lingo,but do appreciate the info.
    Good thread

mje Thanks this.
  8. Rolloff Truck Driver

Rolloff Truck Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Houston,Tx
    I didn't think it was possible for two 48 ft trailers to be hooked together.

mje Thanks this.
  9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    What factors made you doubt that? Two 53 ft trailers are legal in some areas. If you got a converter dolly in the centre, anything is possible really. One thing you got to worry about is the delay for air travel due to the length of the air lines. Aside from that, if you keep an eye on your mirrors, you will be just fine.

10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

that pic is called.....oops somebody screwed up and didnt put a jack stand under it...

mje Thanks this.
  11. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    drive on the NY thruway or the Masspike and that will be a very common thing to see

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.