Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I hope it spurs a big construction boom so I can work my butt off for a change

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    If its on the low side for line haul then no thank you, unless you live in the area maybe. All the
    LTL companies are hiring like crazy and pay pretty good money. I believe starting is usually around 56 cpm depending on the comoany with ups and fedex being the higher of them all. Dont forget their premium insurance is like around $10 a week, with ups being zero, maybe fedex too. But you gotta work up the board for bids...

4. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Your point is valid but is area dependent. For instance Old Dominion in my area is looking to hire a P&D driver. First guy they have hired in two years. They didn't receive one or two applications. They received hundreds the first week it was posted, including mine as well as over half the drivers at our terminal. Along with drivers from Fed ex freight, xpo, Central Transport, ABF, and every other LTL outfit we have in the area. All that for one job. Why? Because its the best darn job around.

For the living in the area comment, well of course you would have to live in the area. LTL is in the land of day cabs, home every night, sleeping in your own bed, and watching your kids soccer games in person not over a live stream on the computer.

Ps that old dominion job...yeah its going to a long time Magnum LTL Driver. He's already had his drug test and passed his driving test.

For what its worth as well. The pay rates do vary by terminal with the Duluth terminal being one of the lower payed ones but after a year my rate was 42 cents per mile and I would have gotten another 2 cents this spring. Most nights I ran 528 miles and did it in under 11 hours. My hourly rate was 21 per hour and if I was in P&D I would have gotten overtime after 40 hours. Compare that with Jeff Foster paying guys 16 bucks an hour to haul tanks, or Carlson timber starting guys out at 12 and Magnum is a pretty good paying option compared to many home every day jobs which if year round in this area tend to be around that 17 to 18 dollar an hour mark.

They are also right in the ball park of what the other regional players in the LTL ball game are paying. Valley Cartage for instance starts guys at 20 an hour for line haul but they have to work the dock and don't get overtime even on the P and D side. Even with the pay being similar though we had a lot of former Valley drivers at Magnum because Magnum was an overall better place to work. Beleive it or not, even though ABF Pays more we never lost a driver to them. Heck a few of us including myself drove past ABF to get to magnum which was 20 miles down the road. The reasoning being even with the Union and the better pay was Magnum was a better place to work. We didn't get micro managed, and we didn't have to deal with the horrible terminal manager at ABF. Fed ex Freight and xpo simile for the camera thats pointed at you. YRC and Central Transport, bring your duct tape...your gonna need it to hold together the equipment.

I'm not saying Magnum is the be all end all of the LTL world. Its not. What it is is a good option to look at for those that want to be home every day, run decent equipment, and make a fair and honest living all while being treated like an adult and being left alone to do your job. Like I said it is also a great foot in the door for getting into the LTL side of the industry. In the end with at least a dozen LTL outfits within a half hours drive of the house I would only consider working at three of them. Old Dominion, Estes and Magnum.

I would go back to magnum again in a heart beat if this gas hauling job dosn't work out. To get me away from magnum in the first place they had to give me a pretty good offer. The fact that the trucks are fast and have 13 speeds didn't hurt either though.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  5. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    CT and YRC is a joke lol. Yrc has the 15% payback. Whats the cost of living in your area? After your insight, I've gained new love for my home area. 9 LTL outfits within a 40 min commute. Only heard good things about OD, id pass on xpo just because the terminal near me is junk. Dayton is super solid, they wanted me to do the dock to driver program but at 25 hours max, paying 18 something an hour. People seem happy at R&L. Would like to know more about Estes and saia.

In my area line haul is around 56 starting, P&d starts at 21 and caps just over 26 an hour. Plus lots of bonuses and side money. 2 weeks starting vaca with 7-8 paid holidays. Company supplied outfits and money for boots. Sounds solid.

6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Just gotta get your experience in. Couldn’t hurt to throw an app or two out there just to see.

Ray Strack Thanks this.
  7. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Cost of living is pretty reasonable in my area. At Magnum I made significantly more than the median household income in my town and now do even better. 50k is more than enough to drive a newer crew cab pickup and own a home on 40 acers. The average "good" job in this area pays between 35 to 45 a year.

Finfn1372 and Ray Strack Thank this.
  8. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Shoot, here in Cali if you make 50k you’re lucky to have an apartment and car payment and have any money left over.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  9. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    We are a MN and ND based company, not that $50K is a ton of money, but with low debt it goes a lot further in the Midwest...it’s the main reason I can’t come back home to Cali

10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Born and raised in west L.A./Santa Monica, now featuring some of the highest rents in the nation. Probably be staying here in SC for awhile!

11. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    I’m from SF, I hear ya! Will be in the Midwest for the foreseeable future.

48Packard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.