Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. CaptainGoatYak

CaptainGoatYak Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Bemidji, Mn
    Do they have all that extraneous safety nonsense on their daycab LTL trucks, too?

I was also wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the new Bemidji terminal. They aren’t looking there so far as I know, but I was considering looking at signing on for either not quite full time OTR (I have seen advertised for part time full time, 10-20 days a month) or whatever that maverick thing is, and see if that might turn into a local spot where I am. Anyone know anything about either of those? The “maverick” ad says a higher pay scale, which, depending on what it is, is kind of the only reason I’d think about that for the being gone all week every week. I’ve been driving for quite a while and have had a couple of LTL jobs.

I’ve been hauling fuel, which I don’t mind doing, but while I technically get home every night, the average length of a work day tends to be 13 hours (sometimes 16), and they sometimes pester me to work on the weekend besides. The pay is decent, but... The amount of time I actually spend at home is hardly any better than sleeping in a truck all week, so I’m looking at some alternatives if my current employer doesn’t want to work with me on how much I’m seeing home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    I wanted to wait a bit before writing the obligatory post about why I left Magnum to ensure I was objective, I had let’s say some mixed emotions regarding my reasons for leaving.

For the prospective Magnumite out there let me begin by saying Magnum is an awesome place for a recently minted CDL holder to begin their OTR career, if of course you understand its reefer and there will be some night driving and lots of early morning deliveries. Magnum offers a solid training program, a very rapid salary ramp up (when compared to the industry) and limited micro-management. Add to that awesome equipment (I’m now driving a fully spec’d owner operator truck and the only additions are leather, wood and a fully carpeted floor vs my Magnum truck) that’s well maintained and pretty new.

When you consider Magnum remember that the pay for performance system means you can quickly come to full pay – about nine months, but it will be the second year when you achieve the magical $70K level and even then that won’t come with a lot of hometime. Having said that it’s fairly realistic to expect to achieve the $60K range with 4-5 days of hometime each month and more time off at the end of the year. Also the insurance costs are not going to complete with the true mega’s, make sure you get the facts before you come and get a big surprise. Offsetting that is the open hometime policy that allows you to work with your DM to determine how much time you’ll spend off… no set limits apply.

Management at Magnum is OK, the DM’s are new and learning and for the most part pretty cool people, upper management have a problem communicating, its more of an annoyance that a hindrance, but it’s something that can drive you crazy if you’re not open and understanding that it’s a part of the culture that is not changing anytime soon. Another issue for some is truck automation, you will at some point if you stay be getting an automated truck, shifting, following distance, speed monitoring etc. If you’ve dreamed of driving that bad you know what 13 or 18 speed, this ain’t the place for you!

So why did I leave? One of the things that experienced drivers should keep in mind is that Magnum has a culture that takes time to learn, and even though you know how to drive, learning the lanes and workflow is critical to success. And that what you see is what you will continue to get, wash, rinse, repeat… Magnum does not have a way of differentiating more experienced drivers from newbies, you’re truck will never exceed 64 mph no matter how safe you drive or how long you maintain that record. Pay for a good driver is not that hard to max out, and there’s the truck automation to consider… I ended up pursuing an interest in percentage pay open deck that will hopefully lead to driving heavy haul trucks; others have gone to smaller reefer companies with percentage deals…

My conclusion, come to Magnum as a new CDL driver if you are at all interested in reefer, it’s an awesome place to start and somewhere for the first few years to really learn how to be an OTR driver. If you have experience, then weigh the positives vs the negatives carefully before coming to your decision. Good luck, and I look forward to keeping up with all the changes…

Zangief, enicolasy, mattbh23 and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Zata40

Zata40 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Northeast Illinois
    Solid!

Winnyf1 Thanks this.
  5. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Yes they do have all of the nanny crap in the ltl trucks. That terminal will have all auto trucks and is a very small terminal. 6 or 8 doors I havent been up there in a while and cant remember exactly.. Overall the LTL side is not a bad place to work and for your area it would be one of the better jobs available. There is no on site management there most of the time. The guy who is in charge is only there one day a week and also runs the Duluth terminal. Everything is dispatched out of Duluth. The line haul guys that work up there also work the dock if I remember correctly.

ncmickey, CaptainGoatYak and Winnyf1 Thank this.
  6. Se7enUp

Se7enUp Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pierre, SD
    Must be several options. Chrome bumper on mine with only a licence plate mount. Chrome tanks and steps as well, also no buttons on the steering wheel and 4 gauges where the data center is above the radio. I love that the seat goes down when you get out then back to set height when you sit on it never had that option before.

7. Se7enUp

Se7enUp Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pierre, SD
    I must say disgruntled employee's are pretty easy to find with most any trucking company, with that said I have been through all 1900 plus pages of this forum, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed, and several other places and it is hard to find one person with a real grievance with Magnum.

Zata40 and CaptainGoatYak Thank this.
  8. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    45,763 miles for the trimester. Mpg was a bit off. 100 score with the safety bonus, so .50 cpm.

9. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    47,900 for the trimester.
    Avg 499 miles per day.
    I think I’m going to become a flat lander so I can get my fuel mileage up.

10. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Just checked my stats after seeing you guys post them up. Maxed everything but fuel economy. That last truck I had wasnt great on economy. Landed me at 46 cpm. Glad my new job pays more, no metrics to worry about, and home every day.

Winnyf1 and mitrucker Thank this.
  11. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Lol I’m at 5.7 mpg after the first month though I tend to run at 70 mph these days...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.