Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. cdavis188

cdavis188 Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Looks like I'll be stopping at the rest area just south of La Grande, Oregon once i get up there. 25 mile section of I-84 and cabbage hill are under chain laws. Checked out traffic cams on the Oregon DOT website and it looks like a fustercluck up there. No thanks. If a road is bad enough to require chains then people shouldn't be on the roads. I have friends, family, and pets who want me home safe. I'm not spending the 45 minutes to an hour to figure out how to chain up just to be taken out by some Amazon prime steering wheel holder doing 75 with no chains up the hill. Deliveries can be rescheduled, injuring yourself or possibly becoming a statistic can not.

2. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I was just up in that area yesterday morning and it was a cluster then too… Solid sheet of ice in Pendleton, Oregon with the chain law up the hill

dwells40 Thanks this.
  3. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Chained and ran it about a month ago and wished I hadn't.

Ran over somebody else's lost chain who didn't know how to, took out the air lines on the air dryer, game over.

4. cdavis188

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Got up to Ontario, OR and decided to take US-26 across and some state highways back north to 84. About 20 minutes on 26 and i learned that the chain law had been lifted. Went over to Portland and up I-5 because i wasn't dealing with Snoqualmie Pass. Oh well, i got to take the scenic route and still made my delivery on time.

Waiting to hear back about my damaged product and wondering what parking options are available in the truck stop desert that is Seattle. Delivered to the Sysco here in Kent. The only thing that I can think of that would resemble a decent place you might actually want to stop at is the Pilot and Flying J in Tumwater where i fueled up at. It's 50 miles away but I'm willing to travel there for someplace decent. I saw a rest area/scalehouse on I-5 north just past Tacoma but I don't know if they allow overnight parking

5. cdavis188

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    Ah the joys of trucking. Had an appointment scheduled today at 1 pm. Matt O. called me to say that the shipper was closing at 10 am, probably to go home early for Christmas. I told him i wasn't able to make it. A 50 minute drive from the Flying J in Tumwater on a good day. But the roads are icy and I'm empty so..yea. Shipper refused to wait for me for half an hour past when they wanted to close. Matt said most likely he won't be able to get me out of here until next Tuesday. I guess there are worse places to be stuck at. On the bright side, at least the roads and passes will be clear when i get going again.

I'm also hoping i get paid layover for sitting over the weekend. It shouldn't be my fault the shipper decided to give Magnum 1.5 hours notice that they were gonna close early.

Zangief, dwells40 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  6. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    That should be 4 days of layover pay right? Are you going to get a hotel to get out of the truck or just stay put at the TS?

7. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    This may be a bit of a blessing in disguise. That big storm rolling through the midwest right now is no joke, and it's going to take a few days for it to get cleaned up and get the extra burden of holiday traffic sorted out. You have the luxury of being able to sit it out and get some genuine relaxation in. Take a few naps, get an uber, explore the town, go find a good steak and maybe a beer or two, and enjoy your mini vacation.

As for the layover pay. Magnum was always pretty good about paying layover pay for me so I would think with a quick message to your DM and maybe a follow-up phone call on Tuesday when they return to the office you should be able to get paid layover for this without any issues.

ncmickey and cdavis188 Thank this.
  8. cdavis188

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    I had hometime scheduled for the 30th in Kansas and I'm clear out in Washington. But i don't have anything going on that i have to be home for. I'll just tell my roommate that I'll be home a few days late is all. I'd love to explore Seattle, but i also know that I'm lazy and a cheapskate so the only exploring I'll probably do is bobtailing to the local Walmart.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. cdavis188

Jun 10, 2021
    Salina, KS
    It should be 4 days yes. And I'm too cheap for hotels. I did a 34 at home on Sunday and went out Monday with the plan of finishing this load to Washington then taking a load back home for hometime. But crappy shippers made that not happen. This is why i hate brokered freight.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.