Managing a Fill Dirt Dump Site

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hlboyles, Mar 3, 2024.

1. hlboyles

hlboyles Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2024
    We have a 4 acre lot in Shawnee, KS that requires about 3500 loads (10 to 14 yards) of fill dirt/rock/concrete. The lot is in a very convenient location for construction companies building in the area. After some research, we've determined that we could charge for each load because of the very close proximity to many construction sites.
    I have no idea how to manage the tracking of each truck load, to make sure we are billing each company correctly. I've been told that we should hand a "load ticket" to each driver as they dump so that they can give those tickets to their management at the end of the day. I welcome any suggestions about how to manage this long term project.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    hlboyles Thanks this.
  4. hlboyles

hlboyles Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2024
    Good question. We do have a land disturbance permit. We plan on building our retirement residence there after leveling the lot.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Definitely gave each driver a load ticket and keep two copies of it. That way, if you get rooked into taking dirt that contains hazardous materials you'll be able trace it back to the hauler.
    Getting rid of clean fill dirt is easy, everybody wants it. Getting stuck with a few loads of petroleum contaminated dirt from a fuel tank cleanup is also common...but really expensive to deal with.

6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Came here to say this. If someone dumps something you don’t want, you need to be able to track back who did it.

hlboyles and Sons Hero Thank this.
  7. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Just a thought if you’re getting concrete and large rocks your contractor is not going to be happy when/if they have to dig basements and footings.

hlboyles and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  8. hlboyles

hlboyles Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2024
    Thanks for that link. I guess we will have to go the paper trail route unless we can somehow automate the billing. I'm not sure we can have someone there all the time to hand out tickets.

9. hlboyles

hlboyles Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2024
    As I mentioned above, I'm not sure we can have someone there 8 hours a day on workdays. I'm hoping we can set up a check-in kiosk with with a digital printer for tickets and database to record the traffic.

Other than the smell test, how could I tell if someone has dumped contaminated dirt?

10. hlboyles

hlboyles Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2024
    Good point. The hole we are filling is 30 feet deep so we could use a lot of hard material initially. We'll try to direct clean fill to the two building envelopes when we get close to adding dirt to those areas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.