Maxx Engines in International's.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Miami Trucker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Miami Trucker

Miami Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.

F.O. ! ! ! ! !

Mooose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boogy

Boogy Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2014
    It's funny that there is not one first hand account of these engines. Just a bunch of computer cowboys saying they heard from their brother in laws second cousin or some guy in the shop from a company they worked at once claiming that everyone of thes are junk.

4. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    What's funny is that there isn’t a single post in this thread from anyone saying anything about getting there information from a brother in law, or cousin, or some guy from a company they worked at once.

loose_leafs and chalupa’s accounts were first hand as was crackinwise’s account when shopping for a truck. The other posters did not say how they came about their opinions.

magoo68 and loose_leafs Thank this.
  5. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    i ran a ProStar with a MaxxForce (company truck) it was gutless and was having issues, overheat, and CEL lights. no way would i own own

loose_leafs Thanks this.
  6. crackinwise

crackinwise Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    True...I actually went and ran the truck and looked it over extensively. The low miliage rebuild seemed like a red flag for me so I looked into it. I wish I had done a little more research on engines because now I bought a 08' KW with a Cat C15 in it. Now Im hearing all teh bad stories about that engine. I felt like I was doing pretty good reseach on all my potential purchases but this one got by me. So now Ill keep my fingers crossed that I have one of the engines that doesnt cost me a fortune. But like Boogy said there are ony two or three people who actually owned the engine and had a bad experience and 40 who say they just hate it because of what they heard. In my case I think the Cat C15 gets a lot more bad press then the others.

The only good news is that any emissions engine has a ton of bad press.

7. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    what's funny is that five years later, International is still trying to do damage control. Too little too late.

We had 5 in our fleet at one time. We finally got rid of he last one this summer. I had the distinct displeasure of being stuck on one of the 2009s. The local dealer kept offerering our company "sweet deals" on all these lease and rental trucks, which were already the forsaken rejects that other companies had turned back in.

Non existant engine brake on the Maxxforce 13 (supposedly fixed on later models)

Cramped cab and sleeper, no storage room.

Windows dont shut properly at highway speeds, due to door sheet metal warping. Common Prostar problem.

Chewed steer tires up religiously every 30000 miles.

Instrument panel looked like a slot machine, depending on which emission or check engine lights were lit up on any given day.

awkward layout of instrument panel and steering wheel, and the controls on the steering wheel don't light up at night, and are placed in dumb locations.

Constant exhast leaks, and thick white exhaust smoke. Whenever that thing belched wrong, me and everyone behind me going down the road got to smell and inhale its farts. even if it was 20 below zero, I would crack open the sleeper vents and drivers windows, just in case the truck tried to kill me with its non compliant fumes.

Very loud clutch linkage rattle.

Lack of power with Maxxforce, two of our trucks they supposedly turned the HP up on. Nobody noticed a change. Poor fuel economy too with the Maxxforce.

Constant regen/dpf problems. And on top of this Maxxforce system was a failure from the getgo, they bought carbon credits instead of becoming emission compliant for 2010.

7 months and 50000 miles of this headache, and nearly 2 1/2 months it spent in the shop. Once in a while I would "luck out" and get a loaner Prostar with a Cummins...but in the end its still a Prostar.

When our road drivers refused to drive them he boss tried to pawn them off on thw local drivers. After losing an account due to late deliveries caused by Prostars breaking down, we finally said F.U. to the 13 letter doo doo spreaders.

I ended up going into an ugly, beat up, 2006 387 Peterbilt with nearly 600000 miles on it in 2010. Burned oil like it was going out of style. But at least it ran decent and made money.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  8. p47

p47 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
    central mn
    what was in the Pete that burned all the oil?

9. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN

C15. Not terrible but usually well over 1 gallon a week as it approached 700000 miles.

p47 Thanks this.
  10. stadingfarms

stadingfarms Bobtail Member

May 5, 2014
    il
    It's funny that you obviously didn't read mine I was the mechanic tasked with keeping the pos on the road. They pull decent at least the one at the 2nd terminal before ruan re-tuned it. They suck to work on can't get to anything easy I spent 2 days in navistar class on them. They require a lot of special tools to preform much of anything troubleshooting. They use cartage filters like the Mercedes engine which is another pos had one of them couldn't get that to get above 4.5mpg and had constant electronic issues and emissions. The prostar cab is pretty decent room wise find one with an isx in it preferably never had too many issues with the 09's only had 2 though. Had a lot of 07 9400 with the isx them were pretty good other than occasionally egr valves and coolers started leaking around 500k couple turbos. Nothing too bad to work on. I left that job because they replaced everything with new volvos and auto shifts didn't want to work on them had experience with 2000 and 2001 and you couldn't get to a lot and they had electric issues

11. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    loose_leafs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.