Maybe it is time to stop changing to the left lane for cars entering the interstate

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Fact is you are responsible for safely entering the flow of traffic from an on ramp.
    This mean slowing down or speeding up to match traffic speed.
    But mostly it means checking conditions before hand, turning the head to look back, and using the mirrors before getting to the gore point.
    I will look at oncoming highway traffic before turning onto a ramp if possible.

Most expect you to just give up the space for them since they didn't preplan their entrance..
    And then Surprise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 40AcreMule

40AcreMule Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2019
    KY
    Instead of the non stop bombardment of Covid booster shot ads, there should be a nationwide ad campaign funded by the TSA informing 4 wheelers on their responsibilities to safely merge into traffic. Include instructional videos in short ads.

I almost witnessed a dude kill himself in Chicago once, running out the ramp on 80E just before Gary next to me. I hammered the brakes and he got in front of me by inches before just running head on into a Jersey barrier.

In Milwaukee I was 79000 in the rain rolling downhill and this minivan starts flashing lights and honking right next to my trailer tandems. Just back off man…. You are going to dart left 2 lanes as soon as you get on anyway. Idiot ended up brake checking me but I expected it and was OK.

Abrupt lane changes are a major cause of accidents and I don’t play that game, not even for police. This move over law has caused a bunch of wrecks because drivers are scared to just slow down for a cop and must move over out of fear. I saw this recently south of Indy and it was solely because the driver thought he had to move over or he was getting a ticket.

also… stop doing DOT inspections on the roadside. Stop pulling motorists over on the roadside. Proceed to the next exit. Effing morons…. I digress

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I know the letter of the law of course....but.....at this point if a truck hammers down in the right lane with zero compromise then that driver is a total POS and should feel it physically.

If I ever have drivers and I record them doing it they are instantly gone.

5. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    At least near cities.....with dozens of cars shooting down the ramps....you would have to be the most ignorant POS driver around to hammer down in the right.

If this is your way (not directed at anyone specific...just in general) I hate your guts......

6. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Too late for us but maybe an improved or updated driver education courses could help in the future.

7. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I have 5 cameras recording 24/7.
    I'm more worried about my actions as opposed to catching an imbecile.

8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Yeah that person breaking zero laws should really be punished. I think the ding dong in the slow lane doing 20 under the flow of traffic should maybe stay off the big road. Some of us have places to be.

9. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    No law....punished with a fist...yes. Berated on the CB...you bet!

I'll already be outta yer way...cuz I'll be doing 50 in the right.....get behind me?....yer problem.

10. soltruckNE

soltruckNE Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Honestly this is one of my biggest fears. I know I'm a good driver, but I fear some crazy person accusing me of something I didn't do and getting me fired. Ik dashcams are great and will protect me from most things, but I still worry.

11. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Scum don't know how to drive

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.