Medical card expires this week. Advice?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I went a month with an expired card, just to busy to get into the local DOT clinic. I finally went, took the form to our Secretary of State, the DMV here in Michigan, and all was good. If my CDL was suspended, which was threatened, I never knew if it actually was. You can get a DOT physical in any town or city, they are not that difficult to get. Some truck stops like Iowa 80 offer them, or at least they used to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Since you have a week, no hurry. Do it later.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Isn't there a 30 day window AFTER expiration that it can be turned in and license reinstated? Without tests.

Different situation.
    A few years back. Mine was suspended for hazmat fingerprints. I never got the notice because dmv hadn't updated my address. Had to do a temp paper permit till fingerprints cleared in the system.

My fingerprints are due in the middle of my 5 year license timeframe.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why is this even being asked, you have to get it done, now. If you have an expired dot, you can not legally drive. There is no grace period.

Cancel the load for tomorrow and get it done.

6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Find a concentra. They are all over, many have truck parking

7. frizzbees

frizzbees Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I went searching for TN info, found this:
    https://www.aamva.org/statetostateinstructionstosubmitmedcert-06272017/

It's a pdf of state-by-state regs for expired medical card current thru 6-27-17. Tennessee line item says "re-application only". Somebody else will have to say if that means start over from the beginning.

Don't know if this is helpful outside of knowing what you're facing if you miss that deadline. Good luck, man.

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Thanks everyone, mine doesn't expire until Friday. I'm not about to let that window pass, it's the '10 days prior' thing that's got me worried. I'm passed that already. I plan to get to a clinic today but I was sweating it when I read that form last night.

9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    In Pa you can go to dmv and they will e-mail your physcial info in instantly. Actually we can mail it, or fax. I just choose e- mail so no lag in getting it there. Mayby can actually e- mail from the place you get your physcial, I never have done that. Don't procrastinate.

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Got it done. Got lucky and was in and out of a clinic right by my pickup in about 1.5 hrs. They faxed to DOT. I'll have to follow up and make sure I'm good but I have 5 days so should be no problem.

Crisis averted but not forgotten.

tucker, austinmike, frizzbees and 2 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's seem to be pretty good news.

Get yourself to your home state to your DMV ASAP with the necessary papers you got today from the Medical. Make sure the #### thing is still VALID and current and in order. If you do not and they run you at the scales and you are invalid well... that could be a issue.

frizzbees and 86scotty Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.