Mercer Now requiring contractors to install omnitracs cameras

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by drvrtech77, Jul 24, 2020.

1. The Veteran

The Veteran Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2020
    What ever happened with this? Did Mercer implement the cameras?

Just curious, I normally see alot of Mercer trucks around my area and recently I've noticed im not seeing them much around here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Cameras are being phased in. Groups of trucks (coordinator teams) are randomly selected to get them installed. If you choose to install early you get I think 25 safety credits. There is no inward facing camera.

The Veteran Thanks this.
  4. The Veteran

The Veteran Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Oh ok, I gotcha.

They were making it sound like it was driver facing cameras. I appreciate the info

5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    The info i had seen posted elsewhere said the cameras have the capability of being driver facing..whether or not they use that function remains to be seen

The Veteran Thanks this.
  6. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    We have the camera system called Samsara at ABF. The driver facing part has tape over it done by the company.

7. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Yes it is. I recieved the email regarding the camera recently. Not only is the camera purchase required, but also a monthly fee. And yes, the dashcam must be purchased from Mercer. In addition, those of us that have an MCP 50, will have to purchase an upgraded ELD, meaning we would have to spend around $1,000, plus a monthly fee.

It is a clear violation of the law, regardless of the motivation behind it. Unfortunately, far too many so called truck owners, have a company driver mindset. They also don't realize why this is against the law. And it doesn't matter what the company's intentions are this time, it's still against the law.

8. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    So what are you going to do? Refuse and challenge them or move on? Might be able to get an attorney involved but is it worth the cost?

9. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    See. This right here really irks me, because it's why carriers try to pull this crap.

Hey so called business owners...(yeah right), get a freaking education. We have private right to action if there are damages resulting from a carrier violating leasing regulation. That means we can sue for damages, court costs, and attorney fees, even if we have to leave the carrier. Damages would include all costs incurred as a result of their violation, including downtime while switching carriers, any costs to sign to the new carrier, downtime waiting to be released from their contract... All that downtime could easily reach $20k, and a lot more for some.

Of course the first course is not to sue. We need to educate them. Not on what the law says, they know what it says. They need to be taught that we know what it says, and won't be pushed around.

So first, we try to educate.

If that fails, we use the law, and they pay, for everything.

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Exactly!!

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Really all carriers are guilty of this by requiring you to run their eld and charging you a monthly fee........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.