mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I added some stuff to your post. Now it has more info in it.

roshea and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    If u run mercer plates u don't gotta pay IFTA. If u wanna pay ur own ifta then u can run ur own plates. I Pay between 200-300 in IFTA lol

4. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Okay, we agree on some things. The occ acc or workers comp is often dictated by either the state of residence of the driver/owner or the state the carrier is based in. Read what was posted about NC, in that instance if the driver does not get the insurance then the carrier must provide workers comp themselves. Now if they provide the workers comp you are getting into the area of being an employee vs a contractor, and Mercer has been fine tuning the contract terms to comply with the increasing scrutiny of the independent contractor definition. But nothing says you have to get any of these items from Mercer, you are free to get them anyplace you want. That is the reason they are allowing us to get out own tags, not requiring us to get them from the company. In my case it is greatly beneficial to use theirs vs NC. Other state will have different rules.

As far as I recall Landstar has required an occ acc policy for as long as I can remember.

Now, about deductions in general, this all started as a response to your criticism about all the deductions Mercer takes out of settlements, so it would seem that you are the one that cares. I have merely attempted to point out that the only deductions are for things you choose to have Mercer pay, for rather than pay for them directly yourself. There is nothing I know of that Mercer deducts that is some kind of requirement for you to pay. You can buy the Omnitracs ELD and pay for your own subscription and then have it connected to Mercer's system, you do not have to pay Mercer one cent for that.

I have seen Landstar settlements and they have various charges on each load, whereas we have zero. Now I have not seen one for a couple years, perhaps that has changed. I do know that when I get a statement the only thing on it is load pay, fuel surcharge, hazmat & tarp if applicable, and unless I loaded money onto my fuel card, no deductions. However, beginning of the month I have my truck & trailer insurance, prepass, and ELD charges all taken out in one lump sum, so the remainder of my statements for the month are not a mess with all the pro-rated deductions, perhaps those are what bother people? I know it annoyed the heck out of my from a bookkeeping perspective.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  5. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Pete is that 200-300 quarterly or per year?

6. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    And dont forget the WHOPPING fee of $.12 for the trip scan to send in paperwork after every load!!! I mean, thats added up to $12.75 for me this year.

How can i afford such madness???

RStewart and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Or you could just use your phone to take a picture and send it in via the website and save the 12 pennies.

8. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Quarterly

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Wtf. Do you not pay attention to the state fuel tax when you fuel? There is absolutely zero reason to ever have an ifta bill that high unless you are running the i5 corridor and only buying in Oregon.

p608 Thanks this.
  10. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I run mainly il in Ohio some GA so kinda stuck getting fuel in those states.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Tax is based on the miles you run in a jurisdiction. And each state has a different fuel tax. You need to look up the individual tax in each state you run in so you can better plan your fuel purchases top get fuel so the cheapest before tax price, nor the cheapest cost.

p608 and RStewart Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.