Mercer's new load board

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by slow.rider, Sep 25, 2017.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    See why offering to pull them for 150 or 200 bucks when the rest of us get 500 to 600 might upset a few guys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I always hate bumping docks. Drop and hooks take less time. I want to be halfway to the next pickup, not still sitting around waiting for some forklift driver to finish his lunch break.

I think overall the main difference between us is you judge loads by total revenue, whereas I judge them by revenue per mile. The truck only has so many miles in its life. May as well get the most for them.

4. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    You get 500-600 to pull a 10 mile load?

5. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Until you spend 3 or 4 hours getting the trailer worked on because the last driver dropped a broken trailer. I'm ok sitting in a dock for a couple hours.

I use both, revenue per day at a certain rate per mile. Got to look at both. Hauling a load that pays $10 a mile isn't any good if it only goes 10 miles. At the same time a load paying $1000 isn't profitable if you have to run 900 miles for it.

6. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is this: assume an average drop or hook takes an hour, an an average live load or unload takes two. Each drop or hook saves one hour. So after only five drops or hooks, thats five hours saved, which means you could have spent 3-4 hours getting a trailer fixed and still have saved 1-2 hours.

I got 2 trailers fixed this year. That's a lot of time saved.

That WOULD BE correct, but only if it took all day to haul one 10 mile load.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  7. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Honestly I feel stupid arguing about it. Why should I try to convince people to take my favorite loads when I can stay quiet and keep them all to myself? Lol.

8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yeah, that's true. Can't argue with the math. Lol. But I don't mind the time spent in the door. That's usually when I cook something to eat or take time to go for a walk, etc...

Lol. You can have them. Lol. I would have to do 7 or 8 of them a day to make it worth my while & that's not my idea of a good time.

Oh, there's no arguing bud, just a discussion. We all find how we want to truck & then go for it.

slow.rider and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yes those loads are there. Maybe not exactly 10 miles, but under 25. I don't really pay attention to the miles on the short stuff. Anything under 50 miles gets shoved in the short haul category in my brain. My favorite load that pops up on occasion pays just over 700. It never touches a public street, it stays inside the complex. In fact you can literally see the building you are taking it to while you are being loaded.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I judge loads by the net. But really it's just an estimate, not a solid figure. we can only estimate many of our cost for the load. Fuel we get real close on, and fixed costs can be broken down to the day, but ya just don't know in advance that you are gonna pick up a nail at the delivery point.

Definately agree that a truck only had so much life in it. However i think we might disagree on what that life is. I'm at the point in my life that when i replace a truck its for reasons that are more preference/quality of life type things, not because the truck wore out. basically after 22 years of this crap I've learned enough by now that I'm confident i can replace anything that can wear out or break.

11. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Tru dat, for sure. It's also nice to shut down for the night at a shipper or receiver whenever possible. Start your clock right around the time that they hand you your papers. But I don't mind trading 1 walk for 3 drops and 3 hooks, if the price is right and the miles are low. And it just so happens that a 30 fits almost perfectly right in that little gap between a hook and a tandem slide. Its a little-known fact that most security guards can't tell the difference between a lunchbreak and a thorough mudflap inspection.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    RStewart Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.