Midwestern Distribution , Ft Scott Kansas

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by TruckerPip, Aug 21, 2021.

1. jnoe

jnoe Bobtail Member

May 31, 2022
    I drove for Midwestern for three torturous years in the early '80s, if memory serves. The pay was 8.5 cents a mile for the co-driver and 12.5 for the lead driver—ten bucks to offload the whole trailer when we had to. LOL, I could go on for thousands of words here, but I won't. I was young and saw the country while meeting three great people, one lead driver and two co-drivers. I'll never forget them. Cheers

TruckerPip, bzinger and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Would you believe Becker is still around?

SAFER Web - Company Snapshot BECKER HI-WAY FRATE LLC

TruckerPip and Dennixx Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I would...lol
    Don't know if he is running any freight currently but when I go by he keeps updating his Trump billboards on trailers in the yard.

6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I have seen that every time I take the interstate to Albert Lea (I usually stick to CR46, its shorter and takes the same amount of time while using less fuel).

7. Porkymoore

Porkymoore Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2022
    I drive there 82-83.. me and a buddy went to school and then there. He got his truck first, so I quit mine and we drove together for about 2 years. We split $ 50/50.. got in a wreck in Chicago. We turned in the truck and went on home...

TruckerPip, Speed_Drums and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. MDeen

MDeen Bobtail Member

May 18, 2023
    My parents drove for MD in Fort Scott, ks. They even paid off a cabover through them back in early 80's. My sister in law drove the taxi named Charlie's Taxi. There was a major flood because I was the genius who thought my 74 jeep could wade through it. Needless to say, as a teenager, it wasn't a great idea. Also the bar across the street, Wheel Barrow, was a regular spot as well. Those were the good ole days. I still have the photos and each year's plaque where my parents were with Midwestern D.

Speed_Drums and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Snagglepuss

Snagglepuss Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2023
    I drove for MD from76 to 78. Previously, I'd been a UPS driver and thanTeamster hall bobtail driver until getting a Class 1 with 5 other guys. We all arrived in Ft Scott together. Had a dispatcher who keep me running all the time coast to coast. I could see family in MN, PA and CA. I became lead driver by default when my lead "jumped truck" and I drove it solo back to the Fort. It was #8485, 290 fuel squeeze Cummins. I recall the truck that went through the ice and made headlines. I was towed out a few times to company wrecks as far as Wyoming to salvage cargo and trailer; I still recall the steak dinners at the Fort with photo shows of the month's wrecks and occasional driver victims! I moved on in '78 to local driving in CA for 3 ore years before moving on to marriage, appraising and police work. I can only recall the names and faces of 4 of my month-long codrivers

10. Snagglepuss

Jun 25, 2023
    I ran from '76 to '78 and drove leading 8484 to all 48 states. I'd done UPS and Teamster hall prevuous to class1 interstate. I did wreck/salvage trips as need for MD's insurance dept when not doing paper, tuna, tires and copper loads. I was lead driver on #8485. I still recall the steak dinners at the company with photo shows of the month's truck wrecks. I left in '78 to do CA intrastate and Bay area trucking. I left freightliner in the '80's for marriage, appraising and police work. I can only recall 3 of my codrivers: Ray, Dave and Victor. My handle on the air was "Snagglepuss".

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I went to one of the safey meeting in Ft. Scott. Won a drawing for a grease gun...lol

12. Snagglepuss

Jun 25, 2023
    I do recollect somebody winning a greasegun; but mostly I recollect the photos of drivers who I dined with the previous month...now on the photo show wall as victims. What way to enjoy a steak dinner! One in particular had made to within 10 miles just east of the Fort and failed to negotiate a one-lane bridge on the Missouri side. Falling asleep at the helm was #1 cause of accidents. I also recall gazillions of mayflies creating a living carpet of dying insects as they hatched all along I-40 one horrendous night in Arkansas and flew into the headlights, completely covering the truck's front. Truckstops had set out buckets and brooms at the pumps; essential as the wiper blades were useless in the onslaught. My new codriver adamantly refused his turn on cleaning off the truck front, ie: failing to "perform the duties of a truckman" as per contract...I gave him his busfare back to the fort. Some time later, I encountered him in Nevada; he'd had a few irksome codrivers of his own by then and actually apologized for his poor conduct in the bugfest. Snagglepuss

13. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I remember two drivers teaming that wrecked in Ohio. Ran off the interstate and hit a power substation.
    Killed them both. One driver was so fat the police thought there were 3 people in the truck due to body parts strewn about inside the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs