Mom's pot roast recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Space Truckin, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    This one is pretty easy and oh so delicious. I have an Instant Pot, but this could be done in a crock pot as well. However the lid is much easier to secure on the Instant Pot, which is much better for going down the road. Obviously the use of either requires a decent inverter.

First step is searing. Crank the Instant Pot up to high and let it get good and hot. Then sear all sides of the roast, a big pair of tongs helps hold on to it here, but use whatever you've got. If you are working with a crock pot you will have to skip this step. Remove the roast and put aside on a plate or something for a moment.

Now mix up your sauce. Add the following ingredients to the pot:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet onion soup mix
    ? Worcestershire sauce

I put ? because I am not sure how much. I do it by eye. But maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 cup? Not really sure. I like Worcestershire sauce, but you do you.

Mix all ingredients well. Then put the seared roast back in. I like to flip it over once or twice, make sure it's coated well. Secure the lid and the pot and put it on low. Do this about 6-8 hours before you want to stop for the night (or in the morning). By the afternoon the cab will be smelling delicious. I usually flip the roast maybe once about halfway through. At first it won't look like enough gravy, but the juices and fat will cook out of the roast to produce an ample amount of delicious gravy.

Which is why you probably want to make some instant mashed potatoes to go with it, to soak up all that delicious gravy. An instant kettle works really well for this, otherwise you will need to boil water somehow. And don't forget the butter and milk. It expands the ingredient list and makes a little more trouble storing some cold items but very worth it for the flavor IMO.

And finally, a bag of microwave veggies, usually I would do green beans as that goes well with everything else.

Bon appetit!

Let me know if you make it! :)

Crude Truckin' and dptrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    I can no longer edit, I forgot to say: Add a little oil to the Instant Pot before the searing step.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.