Most sought type of trucking? OTR , local , regional?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by asphaltreptile311, Jun 15, 2019.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    What would you say is the most common type of trucking jobs drivers go for? Do you think the most wanted jobs from drivers is local jobs, or regional. From your experience do you think most drivers want one or the other?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Depends on the driver

Some prefer otr.

Some of us prefer being home

Some like establishing history working for megas.

Some of us won't work for such companies.

Some can't handle working without leashes.

Some of us won't work for leashes.

tscottme, ibcalm19, meechyaboy and 9 others Thank this.
  4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Linehaul. Great $, some are home daily. Others are put in a hotel. Do a search for linehaul jobs, you typically won’t find many openings for a reason. People usually don’t give those jobs up unless they have to.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I prefer OTR, no else drives my truck but me, no mega company BS, I'm the Captain of this ship as soon as I turn they key... If there is a problem with that you can have the keys back and I'll go elsewhere.

shogun and motocross25 Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Some want whatever is easiest, some want the best money, there really is no answer.

tscottme, 201 and motocross25 Thank this.
  7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    The kind with a good company that treats their drivers right, acknowledges that they are assets, has good equipment with a knowledgeable shop and a helpful dispatch who hauls their own freight and you can settle in and retire from so you don’t have to drive a truck anymore.

8. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Depends on the guy and what he likes I think hauling grain and my own equipment is enough to keep me happy others have a different idea of what happiness is or what they want to drive freight how much work they want

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Without question, local regional work is most sought after. I think drivers will tell you they like OTR, mostly because they can't find a local job. Probably 20 OTR openings for every local job.

10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    thats true^^

I do see many local guys are pretty happy- I see thousands of road guys miserable.
    owner-ops are pretty savvy individuals and dress their equipment up to their likings..They are Generally pretty confident group.

I Myself still run out of state trips- But I Found a perfect Niche that works for me- at this point in my career- 4 on 3 off- That 3 off every week helps so much.- plus 6 weeks vacation per year.

I Think guys that "Chase Miles" Are the most Miserable because They set this Dream of good money only to find out their working too hard every week and not Getting anywhere-Only to Satisfy that carriers Customer and putting money in the owners pocket while he settles in with a devilish smile on his face.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    That's kinda like asking if it snows in Alaska, different people have different motivations in life. Some want money, some want solace and some don't care what they do as long as they're working.I personally like working for small companies that care about their equipment and also the drivers. I like doing regional work with the occasional long haul, but I'll run local if I have too. I don't care much about money, but I won't work cheap. Personal happiness and family are the most important things in life and when I'm not happy or my family is in peril, I head for the door.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.