My Daily Experience With Crete Carriers

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by ABRO Transport, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Transferring a load from one driver to another, or dropping it at a staging point for another driver to finish the load later.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ABRO Transport

ABRO Transport Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    On the road again.

So Rookie mistake, mathematical mistake or me just being stupid. After shutting down on Saturday at 5:15 pm I counted out my 36hr reset. Yup, 36 not 34. No idea what I was thinking but the thought never changed. I had my son drop me off at my truck at 4:30am and I got my stuff in, organized and started my clock at 5:15am. It wasn't till about 8am that I realized I could have started 2 hours earlier.

So I bob-tailed 4 hours to Skowhegan & did a quick drop and hook. Did my 30 at Kennebunk Service Plaza. Large open space with plenty of parking. I got the call on my way out of Maine. No Lincoln, NE for me. I was to T-call the load at the Mechanicsburg, PA terminal. The reason being is that I was finally going to start my Dedicated account.

Stopped at my fuel stop for 60 gallons at the TA in Willington, CT. At which time I realized that my goal of making it to the other side of the GW was not going to happen. After running this area when I was doing flatbed for EFW I knew of a few spots that don't usually fill up to early. I went through the different scenarios as i'm going down 84. "service plazas on 95, if full then what? Pilot in Milford, CT? Well that's usually a cluster at 5pm. Wallingford,CT rest area? As I was nearing Hartford and the 84-91 interchange traffic was increasing and about 2 hours left on my clock. The rest area became plan A. Pulled in, got a spot no problem with only about 10 other trucks there. Close enough for me.

Enjoyed some good weather and reorganized the truck. Pretty much have everything but the kitchen sink in here. As previously stated i like to be self sufficient and I'm not out here to spend money, I'm here to earn as much as possible. I could be stuck in here for 2 weeks and be perfectly fine. I like it that way. Only need for a truck stop is fuel and a shower when I can't make it to a terminal.

4. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Tuesday 2:30am the #### alarms on my phone start going off.. LOL Planned on an early start to get over the GDub before rush hour. The plan was successful. It was a good drive in to Mechanicburg minus the heavy fog on 78 & 81. I arrived at 8:30 am. Dropped the load, turned in some paperwork for my wife to be able to ride with me and met with my Asset Manager (dispatch) .

The gave me what I thought was a little puddle jumper load to finish off my day. DC to a DC, Mechanicsburg to Breinigsville, Pa for a drop n hook headed to Pottsville, Pa 100 miles and then back to the terminal. The shipper was kind of an organized chaos. In and out in about 45mins. Got to the receiver at 2pm. Easy check in and drop. Just needed the hook portion. No empties to be found. I ask the guards and the say check all the trailers even if they are in the loaded section. Nope, nothing. So I head into the office. They say they have 4 and their all loaded and not sure of an et. to being empty. Dispatch?!?! "bobtail to this customer and grab an empty" Ehh ok.

Needless to say, My clock ran out sitting in traffic getting back to the terminal. I figured it was going to but with no place to "safely" park I PC'd the remaining 20 mins back and shutdown.

This should be an end to my NE Regional run that I've been doing for the last 1 1/2 weeks. Decent miles for the NE. If the dedicated thing doesn't work out then I do have that. lol

3/3- 483 miles
    3/2- 557 miles
    2/29- 519 miles
    2/28- 378 miles == Buffalo to Palmyra (Blizzard warnings, winds)
    2/27- 515 miles
    2/26- 592 miles
    2/25- 346 miles == 4 hour live load

5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    If you run the NE a lot and get routed close to NYC, or on a route passing near NYC, take a good look at routing through Scranton, PA via I-81/I-84. The time savings avoiding the really built up cities on the coast can be very much worth it. Also, the Petro in Scranton has a very large lot, and even late at night the far end of the lot usually has spots.

6. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Thank you. I definitely agree with you. Will depend on the tolls and the routing that Crete uses. I need to get familiar with the tolls up here and how much they cost. We get routed via Rand Mcnally (as i was told) and if there is not a tool road on the route they suggest and we take one then we pay for it.

Loudstacks Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have been running through PA, NJ, OH, IN, IL for Crete both as a company driver and an owner op for a total of close to three years now, and have never paid a toll. The only toll roads I work hard to avoid are PA turnpike tolls. 76 and 476 can normally be avoided without too much work. I also avoid getting close to NYC if I can help it, though I've hit Jersey a few times.

Crete will route you through some ####### highway route to avoid I-80 tolls between Chicago and northern PA. I always ignore that routing. I save fuel and time by going the sane route.

Just be sure to call your asset manager and reset your first fuel stop so you do not go non-compliant on fuel.

Don't simply trust me on this, of course. Experiment. Just don't experiment on the PA turnpike. I've been warned that hitting that more than a couple times when you aren't routed for it will get the attention of the bean counters. The only time I've ignored a routing and taken the PA turnpike when not authorized is when I'm on a time critical load and getting it to final is sketchy. Then I will take whatever looks like the fastest route and send a message to the asset manager explaining that avoiding the toll roads might make the load late.

We have a lot of freight lanes that will tempt you to hit I-76, from Eastern PA towards the Western Great Lakes. Don't do it unless your timing is tight. US 322 to I-99 to I-80 is my typical go-to route from Eastern (Hershey / Carlisle) PA headed towards Chicago.

Watch your routing though, they DO sometimes Ok routing on the PA turnpike, and you will see it on your directions.

8. ABRO Transport

Feb 22, 2018
    NH
    Awesome
    Thank you for that. I now know who I'm coming to for advise.. haha

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I don't do the NE north of PA, except very rarely. 99% of my stops are IL/IN/PA/NJ/TN/GA/TX/CA.

Just remember that if you want to change your fuel routing you need to do it before your first fuel stop, or some of the asset managers don't know how to fix it, or maybe they can't. Not entirely sure.

ABRO Transport Thanks this.
  10. mstrchf117

mstrchf117 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Iirc the tollroads they dont like are 76 between the ohio/pa stateline and where 70 runs into 76. Then 76 east of Harrisburg area (cant remember exact mile marker/exit). 88 in Illinois. And the new Jersey turnpike south of Trenton area. And new York thruway. Pretty much other than that you're ok. I specifically asked about toll roads in the ne and was told the routing is just a suggestion. 95 is pretty much entirely toll road north of Richmond lol I think the gw is the most expensive bridge across the hudson, so any other you're good. Never had an issue going out of route. I avoid 95 like the plague if I can. That said, I run otr so they might have different policies for dedicated accounts.

ABRO Transport and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. The Big T

The Big T Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I run the NH to PA lane back and forth weekly. The 81 to 84 route from Pennsylvania is much quieter as far as traffic goes. But it's loaded with hills and 84 is rougher than hell. Rattle the teeth right outta your head. And the NY DOT has been having a field day at the weigh stations lately. I'm talking 4 to 5 units going through trucks at nearly every station. They must seriously be hungry for lunch money. Depending on time of day, I'll swap up the scenery between that and the 287 route to 95 or 684 to 84. Basically, it usually times out about the same give or take a half hour or hour. So it's hills, rough roads and lots of cops or lots of traffic and accidents.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.